News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Forest Hills Golf Club- La Crosse, Wisconsin
« on: July 29, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
Earlier this spring, I played at a golf course in La Crosse, Wisconsin while on a business trip.  Its a pretty neat small city on the north end of the Mississippi River that has a lot of Southern/Cajun influence thanks to the river.  Pretty neat spot if anyone ends up there at some point.

Anyways, I played at Forest Hills Golf Club which was formerly the private La Crosse Country Club before the members bought a plot of land outside of town and built a new course which I was told was not worth seeing anyway. 

The golf course sits wedged in and around two huge rock bluffs and crosses and runs directly next to active train tracks on four of the holes. That was one feature I really liked.  We saw/heard 3 trains go by over the course of the round.  The layout uses the terrain very well and had some pretty neat holes.  I asked a few peopel there who the original architect was, but nobody knew.  All I got was "the course is really old"

Does anyone know who may have been involved in the layout?  A long shot, but I figured someone may know.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Phil McDade

Re: Forest Hills Golf Club- La Crosse, Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
Mark:

Interesting course by reputation, although I have not played. Dates to the early 1900s, and once held an exhibition featuring Sam Snead. I don't know too much about its origins, although Cornish and Whitten list both Roger Packard and Dick Nugent as having done renovation work there. Wouldn't surprise me if somehow Bendelow might have been involved at some point, as he did a lot of work in the Upper Midwest. I'll try to dig around some more and see if I can come up with something.

Mark McKeever

Re: Forest Hills Golf Club- La Crosse, Wisconsin
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 03:35:29 PM »
Thanks Phil!  Let me know what you dig up.  After playing it, I was intrigued, but nobody there could really tell me much about it.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back