News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Laying up on a par 3
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »
JME,

The "late, great" TEPaul monitors GCA.com and calls me in the evenings to discuss subjects of interest.

We plan on having dinner together in the New York area in August.

I wonder if he'll invite Lord Voldemort ?

Shivas,

A great swing and a great player, only restricted by the ball and equipment circa 1920 ;D

JMEvensky

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »

The "late, great" TEPaul monitors GCA.com and calls me in the evenings to discuss subjects of interest.

Yes,I've heard the rumor.

I seem to remember a good back and forth on this subject between you two.I'm with Shivas (and TEP)--MH was built like Dick Butkus;223 with a driver was no problem.

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »

I've done this many times unintended.

Anthony

Anthony

Small point, but if it was unintended then you probably weren't laying up, you just hit a bad shot.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
On the 16th at Carnoustie I found that if I tried to lay up off the front of the green, I usually made par.

Gary

I gather Hogan used the same tactic to great success in every round in his one and only Open which he won.

Niall

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 02:11:30 PM »
#3 at the Wigwam Gold.

It's a 272 yard hole to a tiny green that sits at an angle (front right running to back left) with a very deep bunker front left and a steep slope behind.

I've never even played it at the full card distance of 272, as I have never seen the tees put back there. if they were I suppose I would hit three wood for a layup and chip on. Usually the tips play at more like 240. I still doubt that anything but a perfect 3 wood is going to put me on that green and taking that much club and missing means either being in the sand, or long, or right and all of those places are going to be hard to even keep the ball on the green with a chip. So 3- or 4-iron at the front right corner seems like the smart play. If it runs on to the front edge, all the better.

Tom Kelly

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »
Number 2 at Dornoch.

I did it unintentionally the first time I played it with a mis-hit...short front is a really good place to be there.

I was told that the locals say the hardest shot at Royal Dornoch is your 2nd shot on the 2nd.....after birding the 1st and then taking 6 on the 2nd I believe them.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
I thought very hard about it into a hearty breeze on the 3rd at Pasatiempo. Decided that I wanted no part of the uphill pitch, so I choked down a driver and striped one right at the pin. But it was 10 feet long and ended up pretty much dead in a bunker ... one double bogey later and I'm thinking a layup was the right play. I had very little chance of holding that green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back