News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: What's the biggest waste of money you see on a golf course?
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
A lot of courses went to bottled water because they were afraid of distributing water with bacteria in it.  Not a concern with bottled water.
And if they're purchasing 100,000 bottles I bet they're only paying around 10 cents a bottle...

Whilst there have been a few possible incidents with water coolers and jugs of water,  I am not sure that there has ever been any widespread issue with drinking fountains or taps.

i'm pretty sure there was a death at an AZ course a few years ago
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
Artistic mowing. Its grass, just cut it. Don't walk mow approaches and tees because you like little stripes, don't get all anal trying to line up all the stripes, just cut the grass in the most efficient manner. I never cease to be amazed about the importance some put on mowing patterns. For heavens sake, we're playing golf, not checkers.

The pursuit of definition. This height of cut, then this, then that, fwy, step cut, semi, first cut, second cut, primary rough, approach, collar, tee, green,...seriously, how many heights of cut do we need to play the game? Don't define everything, blend it.

Bunker edging. This obsession with razor sharp bunker edging is nothing more than adding huge amounts of labor for no positive benefit. Everyone is always talking about how expensive bunkers are to maintain, how about using some common sense instead of trying to show off how good you are with an edger?  

To me, all the above is associated with "fine" turf management when in actuality its anything but that.
Some day I hope we look back and laugh at all the time and money spent tying to make a course look “high end”.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:56:45 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

jeffwarne

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
A lot of courses went to bottled water because they were afraid of distributing water with bacteria in it.  Not a concern with bottled water.
And if they're purchasing 100,000 bottles I bet they're only paying around 10 cents a bottle...

Whilst there have been a few possible incidents with water coolers and jugs of water,  I am not sure that there has ever been any widespread issue with drinking fountains or taps.

Nothing wrong with drinking fountains(we have 11 on our course), but people REALLY bought into the idea that bottled water was healthy.
It's mind numbing how much they consume/waste
somebody in marketing did a great job, because drinking fountains just won't do. ::) ::)

I don't know how I survived all those years drinking Cokes at the halfway house walking  in 100 degree heat. ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:21 PM »

seriously, how many heights of cut do we need to play the game? Don't define everything, blend it.

Some day I hope we look back and laugh at all the time and money spent tying to make a course look “high end”.

Amen. blending-I like that

Some of the best looks and playability I've seen involved sheep grazing on the course.

On another topic, would you say more effort is spent trying to make golf harder? (more hazards, length, rough)
or easier?( consistent speed greens,smoother fairways, consistent roughs, perfect bunkers)

It always cracks me up when guys "tip it out", then roll it over in the fairways
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 11:09:30 PM »
The contaminated water case in PHX:

http://www.safeteewater.com/PDF/SuperNews.pdf
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
A sleeping marshall.

And then it would be traps that have no strategic or artistic purpose.  MPCC Shore 18 has a series of traps within 100 yards of the tee. They only come into play for the beginners or older golfers that do not hit the ball in the air now.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:13:55 PM by Tiger_Bernhardt »

David_Elvins

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2011, 11:20:29 PM »
people REALLY bought into the idea that bottled water was healthy.
It's mind numbing how much they consume/waste
somebody in marketing did a great

I am convinced that the proliferation of bottled water is one of the key indicators that western society is on the decline. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

David Nelson

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »
As an excercise I priced revetted bunkers

1 x bunker
4 men 2.5 days @ £15 = £1200
75m2 Turf @ £2.05 = £153.75
Fuel for eqipment = £30
75% New Sand 15cm @ £20 = £120
Total = £1503.75

50 bunkers AVG per course being re-revetted every 4 years = £18,796 Per Year

I could really be wrong with this but in my opinion its allot of money each year to spend on bunkers!

Cristian

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
Replica Swilcan Bridges......

(which also look totally out of place 999 out of 1000 times)

John Shimony

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 09:31:03 AM »
I wish I knew more about club budgets but I would assume clubhouse maintenance, bunker maintenance, and tree maintenance and the salaries to care for all three are huge expenditures.  If one was to start a club in this economy I think the club would be smart to go with a modest clubhouse, few bunkers and few trees.
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2011, 02:26:41 PM »
Having to restore the same pieces of grass year after year because we all take the same route around a particular bunker or off a particular green or tee. I speak as an Englishman, very few of whom would dream of taking a buggy, but too many of whom now take heavy battery-powered trolleys (our terminology) instead of carrying a lightweight bag with fewer than 14 clubs, especially in winter.

Niall C

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
As an excercise I priced revetted bunkers

1 x bunker
4 men 2.5 days @ £15 = £1200
75m2 Turf @ £2.05 = £153.75
Fuel for eqipment = £30
75% New Sand 15cm @ £20 = £120
Total = £1503.75

50 bunkers AVG per course being re-revetted every 4 years = £18,796 Per Year

I could really be wrong with this but in my opinion its allot of money each year to spend on bunkers!

Firstly as Scott says if you need to redo them more than every 5 years you're probably in the wrong area to have them. Secondly you need to set against that the cost of cutting the grass round a more "conventional" bunker.

Niall

Ross Harmon

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
Mine are alot of what's already been written here...

Overwatering
Overmowing
Oversized clubhouses
and Water bottles - especially the tiny ones where you have a grab 2-4 to really hydrate!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back