News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

michael damico

Select Pace Golf: a patented golf course?
« on: July 20, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
I was on LinkedIn and never frequent the site, but looked under one of the 'groups' I'm in, the Golf Construction and Remodeling Network, and came across a Florida man who has a patented idea for golf courses that allows for the player to select their own pace of play.

www.selectpace.com

I haven't even had the time to fully read it and I have to run for the morning, but thought that it could be a good topic to discuss...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Kalen Braley

Re: Select Pace Golf: a patented golf course?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
So I took a quick peruse of the site...

While the concept sounds good, I'm not sure how this wouldn't be total chaos.  Even the author of the website doesn't know exactly how it would work, but speculates that perhaps GPS could be used to keep track of where every group is on the course.  So it would have to be a non-walkers course

Here is his proposed view of what the course would look like.  It does look like no matter which hole you are on, after finishing that hole you would indeed have a multitude of other holes to choose from.  And he also makes sure to point out that the "beverage carts" would stay on the cart paths that run laterally between the holes so you would never be too far away from a beverage or snack..lol

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:17:17 PM »
There are many jokes that could be made about this. I will go with a nice one, it looks like Firestone.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
There are many jokes that could be made about this. I will go with a nice one, it looks like Firestone.

Actually, it kinda looks like my aunt Barb in a one-piece swimsuit.  ;D

michael damico

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »
Actually, it kinda looks like my aunt Barb in a one-piece swimsuit.  ;D

I can kind of see a two-piece...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54:34 PM »
Kinda looks a little bit like the meat dress Lady Gaga wore for that awards show!!

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
Are crummy golf holes that are twice as fast just as sweet?
I'd like to ask the Patent Lawyer why he was stealing from this poor guy.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Paul OConnor

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 02:42:18 PM »
Select Pace Golf = definition of a clusterfuck

J Sadowsky

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »
While I'm somewhat skeptical that this is an enforceable patent, I actually like the outside of the box thinking.  Obviously certain issues would have to be worked out (safety being a key one others have missed), and an architect would certainly be LIMITED in what he could do (and really be ready to move some dirt), I don't think the idea REQUIRES bad architecture.  Assuming the course is not private (not sure pace of play is an issue with private courses), it could also lead to a pricing structure for a round of golf that is based on time rather than rounds. 

By taking away our "linear" view of a course routing, one can avoid bottlenecks and increase flow during peak hours.  For a lot of places in metropolitan areas, this would certainly be a big draw.  If someone tried something like this in DC, I'd probably give it a whirl.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
The general idea to have a course, where holes can be played out of order is good. We all do that on our home course occasionally, when a slow group is in front of us and we can spot a tee that is free. The added benefit of the Select Pace concept is that we wouldn't have to be afraid of cutting in on someone anymore.

Probably a good way to sell this concept would be to not call it a golf course, but instead call it a practice facility. "We have 36 practice holes where you can hone your game. Just play wherever there's room."

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back