News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Cape Fear National
« on: February 14, 2010, 10:23:43 PM »
I played Cape Fear National on Friday.  The high temperature for the round was 40 degrees so we played more with a purpose of finishing and getting in from the cold and not with a purpose of admiring the course.  Has anyone else played it? 

Cape Fear National is a Tim Cate design near Wilmington, NC and is a very pretty course to look at.  It reminds me very much of Tiger's Eye and Leopard's Chase (both Tim Cate courses).  I didn't play the tees that I would normally play but there are some tighter driving areas than on Tiger's Eye.  I don't know if Mr. Cate has tougher up his mentality for strategy off of the tee.  On Tiger's Eye, I hit Driver 14 times and can pretty much blast it but that is not the case here.  Also, from what I was told, Cate was given anything that he wanted on this course.  The surrounds of the entire course are well manicured and designed.  The greens are very subtle (I wish that they has maybe 10% more slope) but they were challenging.  Unfortunatley, the conditions were terribly soft and not real good golf conditions but the course itself was in good condition, it was just soft and it was quite cold.

Both nines end with par three (which at first I didn't like) but both 9 and 18 are strong par threes and from the back tees but would be very challenging pars.  The green for the ninth hole is probably 50 yards wide and it has a lot of character.  It was my favorite green on the course.  I hit a poor tee shot and had a 50 footer for birdie with about 14 feet of break.  The 18th played right around 200 yds and slightly uphill to a narrow but deep green.

I have seen that Tim Cate is getting some good pub here.  I have played and enjoyed his courses for years as my Father is a member of 3 of them.  Like many here, I am a fan of minimalists but I am a fan of Mr. Cates as well.  He designs solid, fun golf courses that are very pretty with a lot of eye candy and during my round, I mentioned to my Dad that Mr. Cate is like a plastic surgeon, I think women with natural beauty (like my wife) are beautiful but there are a lot of beautiful women who have been "enhanced".

A.G._Crockett

Re: Cape Fear National
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 06:20:02 AM »
Brock,
Where is the course and when did it open?  That's one that has gotten under my radar.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Cory Lewis

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:05:17 AM »
I played there about ten days ago and would agree with most everything Brock said.  I thought 9 was a fine golf hole with a nice combination of beauty and strategy.  The course is southwest of Wilmington, the official opening is not until April though it has been open for play since November.  The greens were in outstanding condition for a golf course that is so new.  I would highly recommend it to anybody in the wilmington/north myrtle beach area.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Brock Peyer

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
The website has some good illustrations and the new Links issue has an ad and one picture as well.

Paul Carey

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 01:34:02 PM »
I have yet to get to Cape Fear National but I have good things from the locals.  A few buddies played there soon after opening on a blustery day (pretty typical in those parts) and were lamenting about the number of lost balls.  I think generous fairways are a good idea given how hard the wind can blow.  Many days in that area will have wind speeds averaging 15-20 and gusts to 30.

Cate is renovating Bald Head Island which was sorely in need.  Ostensibly he is following George Cobb's plans but I think he is taking a lot of artistic license.  In walking the construction the other day the green sites look great and not too artificial and the bunkering is pretty dramatic and strategically improved.  He has widened some landing areas but he seems to make his fairways pretty flat and no "rumpling" and in fact has removed some "rumpling" on the existing fairways.    Finally, he seems to like the "eye candy" waste areas.  I can't tell whether they may be a bit overdone but we will see. 

Bill Satterfield

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 01:01:42 PM »
I played Cape Fear National in May and thought I would share some photos.  I enjoyed the course quite a bit.  There is a ton of water and solid bunkering.  As mentioned before, each nine finishes with a par 3 - a first for me.

1st Green

3rd Hole

4th Hole

8th Hole

9th Hole

10th Hole

15th Hole

16th Hole bunnker on right

18th Hole

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back