News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Remington (SBR)

Re: This is a joke....the technology has to be controlled...
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2011, 06:39:50 AM »
Sean,

Its not really about "protecting par".  I don't think anyone would object too much if some modern day Moe Norman came along who was sticking it close on par 4s with 4 irons and 7 irons and making birdies all over the place.  Its more the fact that watching a game where guys are hitting wedge to every par 4 isn't very interesting, whether or not they're making the putts.  The idea that you can just say "who cares, leave the course alone and let them shoot whatever they shoot" is a non-starter, not because its a problem if they shoot -25 in a major, but because watching guys who aren't being challenged is boring as hell.

Doug  -  I can see you point but rather than protecting par you want to protect what you think is interesting to watch.  But this idea is what has driven Augusta to make the changes they have made since 97.  Remember all the comparisons of the second shots hit by Woods and Jack?   On #15 Jack hit a 4 iron, Tiger hit a wedge I think?  But if this is what is held so important in the game then why didn't they go back to Sarazen and his 5 wood?  I know that was not the "modern era".   You may not want to watch them hit wedges all day but in the end you want to protect the same thing,  a number that you think they should make.  Better athletes, better equipment the numbers should be low.   My hope is that eventually somebody will realize we are well on our way to 8,000 yard golf courses and this doesn't make sence for any reason I can think of.   There needs to be a technology limit for the best in the game just as drug testing was needed in baseball.

Phil McDade

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »
Kyle Stanley just hit wedge for his second shot into a 596-yard par 5 at the John Deere Classic. Drive estimated at 400+ yards (it is admittedly dry out there).

He missed the green with his approach shot. ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
Sean Arble,

It's not just the pros, it's the young amateurs who hit the ball farther than the pros.

It's getting impossible for an architect to design a hole that will provide a challenge to the broadening spectrum of golfer.

Architecture involves the creation of features meant to interface with the golfer.

Like the Germans and the Maginot Line, the features are being ignored by simply "air mailing" them.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back