News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Benedict

Trevino on Merion
« on: June 23, 2011, 03:43:53 PM »
In his interview with David Feherty on Feherty's new show Lee Trevino recalled how he loved Merion because it reminded him of some muni (I forget the name of the course) back home with its small greens and cramped site.

Whoever designed Merion must have been rolling over in his grave at that one.

PCCraig

Re: Trevino on Merion
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »
Good riddance, Lee.   ::)
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »
If you are one of the world's best ball strikers ever, it sounds like a perfectly good reason to like it to me.

For all the lousy ball strikers on GCA.com, there are wide fairways, big greens, and lost of room at NGLA for you.
Also, Bandon was made to order for you.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Phil Benedict

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Interestiingly, Trevino said he received more credit for his ball-striking than he deserved, saying that he had a weakness with long clubs but compensated for it with his short game.

George Pazin

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
That show was a terrific hour, for anyone who missed it. Feherty is very entertaining yet doesn't make himself the story in an interview, as many others do. Just mho.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Greg Clark

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 05:23:08 PM »
I believe it was Stevens Park that he referenced.  The course is currently going through a significant reworking by John Colligan.  Lee mentioned two other Dallas muni's - Tennison and Cedar Crest - during the interview, but I'm pretty sure it was Stevens Park that he referenced when talking about Merion. 

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
Pat Craig,
I didn't see the interview. Why do you seem so put off by Trevino saying he was reminded of an old course?

Phil Benedict

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »
I believe it was Stevens Park that he referenced.  The course is currently going through a significant reworking by John Colligan.  Lee mentioned two other Dallas muni's - Tennison and Cedar Crest - during the interview, but I'm pretty sure it was Stevens Park that he referenced when talking about Merion. 

Greg,

That sounds right.

I just thought it was cool for him to compare Merion to a muni given all the reverence some people attach to the course.  He wasn't being derogatory at all; he was just expressing why he felt comfortable there.

Paul Jones

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:04:57 PM »
Because of the way he explained why it reminded him of the muni, I thought it was a complement.  He felt comfortable playing the course.  I really enjoyed the show, especially his interview with Lee Trevino.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

astavrides

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »
very entertaining show.  i'm going to keep checking youtube hoping someone posts the harold henning bit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back