News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Byrnes

Played another upstate NY unknown gem today
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
I know we have discussed some of the more obscure upstate NY courses around here.  I did a search but didn't find anything previously posted on the Mohawk Golf Club.  Its a fun, challenging course with a wide variety of holes.  While only 6688 yards it played long and was in great shape.  Lots of small greens with some great slopes. 

http://www.mohawkgolfclub.com/

Recommend it highly if you find yourself in the Capital District, Albany area of NY.

Dan

mark chalfant

Re: Played another upstate NY unknown gem today
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Dan,

Mohawk was originally designed by the Golden Age master Devereux Emmet, Steve Curry and others have spoken highly of this course.  Schuyler Meadow, near Siena College and also by Emmet,  is excellent too.

For more on Devereux Emmet look at  www.devereuxemmetsociety.com

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:38:09 PM »
I have played Schuyler quote a few time.  Has some really nice features with some great false fronts but think Mohawk overall is more enjoyable as it seems to me to have a much greater variety of holes.

Should have taken pictures but didn't think about it until after the round when I was reflecting on what a nice course it was.

Dan

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:51 PM »
Man, this course looks good.  Any more you can share about your experience, the course, etc?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »
I have played it a couple of times before but they were in events of sorts so scrambles, or even best balls but very casual rounds.  Today it was empty and beautiful summer day.  Actually a friend had said he wanted to play it so I arrange it for him but it ended up a great treat for me.

It was struck by how much longer it seemed to play than the 6700 yards, with many uphill or elevated greens.  Course has a great variety of holes, some wooded, some open, elevated tees, small greens with slopes.  Need to position the ball in the right part of the greens to two putt.  I struggled with that a bit.  Generally a fair course but tough and a real joy to play and enjoy.

It's near Schenectady NY and at one time when that was the home town for GE it must have been quite the happening club.  As GE pulled put and Schenectady fell on hard time I think the club has struggled a bit membership wise.  Not sure how they are doing today but everything was in great shape.

While all course evaluations are highly subjective, this one scored really high on my criteria which is if I lived nearby would I want to bbe a member.  It's about 30 minutes from my home at low traffic times, so I could but for me to get any real use out of it it's just too far.  I pass by 4 private clubs to get there.  I don't think any of the other four are as nice of courses but 10 minutes makes it a lot easier to use the place to play a few holes, practice or socialize.

I posted this not only because I really enjoyed it and wanted to hear anyone else's opinions but more because of the discussion we had abut Leatherstocking in Cooperstown NY and how it wasn't ranked high enough in some people's views.  I had said in my opinion Leatherstocking was no better than a handful of relatively unknown upstate NY courses which I would include Mohawk on that list.  I have decided to go out and play Leatherstocking again as maybe I just didn't appreciate it enough and am going by memory as it's been a few years, also my proficiency in golf has greatly improved in that time so I think that allows greater insight.

In the end there are tons of courses that might show up on a list if they were in more tony locals or had a better history or more populous locations as the metro NY area.

Dan

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:01:08 AM »
I posted this not only because I really enjoyed it and wanted to hear anyone else's opinions

Dan, I hear you.  I wish I could add to the discussion, but I haven't played it...so I can't.  It looks good and I loved that you brought it up, as now it is on my radar screen.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back