News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

What is the story here? Best inland course in Scotland? Where does it sit with the other greats? What's the history?

Mac Plumart

+1 on wanting to know about this course.  It keeps coming up in my golf discussions, searches, etc.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Niall Hay

It's supposed to be awesome.  Interesting architecture story too. All the greats have played there. Must be some great history.

Pete_Pittock

Niall,
Can't give you much. I played it once in April/May of 1975. It was part of a package tour set up by Golf International (or its predecessor). Eight days self drive with 2 night stays at Troon, Perth, St Andrews and North Berwick. The GI site had this article,
which seems to be in tune with my faint memories. http://www.pgatour.com/story/7125020/

I got lost between holes when I made a wrong turn at paths intersection halfwayin the woods.

Niall Hay

+1 on wanting to know about this course.  It keeps coming up in my golf discussions, searches, etc.

Dr Alister MacKenzie was commissioned to extend the course to 18 holes in 1914, but the Great War delayed the opening until 1927. Then, in the 1930s, James Braid was called in to add a further nine holes and create a new 18-hole layout. Today’s Rosemount is therefore a James Braid design with a sprinkling of Alister MacKenzie. The original nine-hole course remains and it’s a charming 2,327-yard heathland track called the Wee.

Phil McDade

James Boon

If you chaps are willing to show a little patience, I've got a photo tour thread, that includes a history of the course, its routing and some detail of MacKenzie and Braid's involvement, virtually ready to go. Unfortunately work will be getting in the way for most of today, but will hope to finish it off and post it this evening.

Cheers,

James

Posted here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48529.0.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:24:11 PM by James Boon »
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Niall Hay

That would be awesome.

Neil_Crafter

Mark Chaplin

Niall - whilst a very nice course, Gleneagles Kings pips it for me as best inland in Scotland.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back