News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: What do we need in our private club proshops?
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »
I don't think pro shops can compete with the internet and the big golf stores.

I have replaced all my golf equipment (3 drivers, 2 wedges, 1 putter, 1 golf bag, set of irons and a push trolly) in the last 12 months, but sadly none of the purchases were made in my pro shop, even though they do stock nearly everything I bought. Most of what I bought was from the previous season, and was discounted by up to 50%. I also bought 3 junior sets. My pro shop just can't match what's on offer elsewhere.

Last week I saw a Mizuno MP630 driver in my pro shop for about €260, but I ended up getting it in a large golf store down the road for about €190.

Custom fitting, checking lie/loft etc. and logoed merchandise is all that's left in my opinion.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »
This has to be prefaced by saying I'm a member of a small-town, 400 member club.

The best run pro shop I've seen had a few good putters (the pro said they were an impulse item) and lots of logo items.  NO full club sets.  He worked hard at having lots of demo days and had the philosophy that a lot of the performance of a club was what "looks good" to the player.  He worked at fitting shafts and playing characteristics to his members.  That being said, EVERYTHING was ordered.  He marked clubs up very little, required cash (not even credit card) payment for clubs, and beat the big box retailers hands down.  Balls and expendables were no brainers....  he we a buck or two above big box but no big deal.

He made a LOT of money from his shop.

Jamey

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
For those of us who have serious pro shop shopping habits, the answer is YES

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »
I think Greg Tallman has it just about right.

I do think any good private golf shop needs some clubs, otherwise it's a clothing store that happens to be at a golf course.  At the very least a handful of drivers, wedges, and a set or two of irons dress the shop up and are conversation pieces to move people around the shop and just pick off a shelf to hold in their hand.  If they don't sell during the season, chalk it up to helping sell other items and then get rid of them around wholesale cost at the end of the season - either online, as a tournament prize, or in a big year-end sale.  I do agree that the bulk of equipment sales can and should come from demo days, custom fitting, etc.  But a golf shop without at least a few golf clubs is not a golf shop.

Logo items are a key, and mix up the accessories.  Have some logo essentials year in and year out (the most popular stuff - tumblers, repair tools and other little functional souvenirs, etc) and then mix up the other accessories so they skip a year or two or more - this would be for more specialty items you sell less of, like leather goods, high-end belts, glassware, etc.  Keep looking for less expensive accessories you can logo once and then never again unless they go well, like bookmarks, Christmas ornaments, wine stoppers, etc.  If they go, great, and if not, it's no big deal.

As far as logo apparel, you have to have the basics in bulk and then dress them up with a few cashmere sweaters, lined wool windsweaters, sweater vests, etc.  They help sell the basics and again, if they don't all sell during the season, you can clear them out at a discount at the end of the year.

Scott Warren

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 01:05:40 AM »
Too many golf shops buy a shitload of shirts with busy designs or in "in" colours and they're inevitably on the sales rack at the end of the year.

Simple shirts - solid colours and timeless stripe or chequered designs - in a range of colours, hats of all different styles and colours, as many logo accessories as it makes sense to carry. Playing cards, glasses, shoe bags and overnight bags, AM&E headcovers (driver, wood, hybrid and putter) with a tastefully small logo.

Putters and wedges are cheap enough that people will buy one on impulse.

Our pro has the Titleist fitting cart in the shop with all the heads and shafts on it, which I think is a good way of promoting the service and having clubs in the shop without actually having clubs in the shop.

There's a few staff bags filled with ex-demo drivers, fairway woods and hybrids.

A wall of shoes ranging from men to women, classic styles to the newer street-style shoes.

What would be ideal IMO is room for a hitting net so those demo clubs can be given a quick workout then and there.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 04:07:35 AM »
I am probably old fashioned, but I like to see clubs in a proshop, both new and used.  I understand that space is an issue, but I would think putters, hybrids and wedges could be on offer (how else does a pro get kids hangin' round?).  Maybe some full sets of used clubs.  I also like to see shoes.  Of course, the usual club logo crap (one never kows when SWAG Sheehy will appear) should be on offer, but to a limited degree in terms of colours.  No trousers or shorts please.  No $10 socks.  No cravats.  Not too much non-golf logo stuff - too swagish -pro shops should focus on golf-functional items.  Yes to the club history and some other books which may heavily feature the course. 

If a guy is just selling SWAG I am far less inclined to buy from him.  Its the same with walking into a petrol station and you can't buy oil or windshield wipers - totally useless and I won't buy their crap.  This is one of the worst things about car travel - turning up at a station like this. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »
Public course players?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Travis Dewire

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 07:07:31 AM »
Travis,

It's the guys over 50 who are searching for the "Holy Grail" that are buying all the equipment.

As an aside, how would you attract a highly competent professional to Market, Teach and Administer if you eliminated equipment sales as a form of revenue ?

Patrick,

I am not eliminationg equpiment sales entirely. A few clubs in the shop to keep it looking nice, and only demos in the back. Then, with demo days running in May, July, and Sept (maybe a few last season equpiment pushes), players can try a variety of clubs, from different manufacturers (otherwise not represented in the shop) - and they will be ordereed and money generated. What about when the shop gets far too overstocked, and we have a large # of equipment revenue losses?

If the pro shop is owned by the club, and no the head pro/direc of golf, then is the goal of the pro shop, really a money making endeavour?

Travis Dewire

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »
This has to be prefaced by saying I'm a member of a small-town, 400 member club.

The best run pro shop I've seen had a few good putters (the pro said they were an impulse item) and lots of logo items.  NO full club sets.  He worked hard at having lots of demo days and had the philosophy that a lot of the performance of a club was what "looks good" to the player.  He worked at fitting shafts and playing characteristics to his members.  That being said, EVERYTHING was ordered.  He marked clubs up very little, required cash (not even credit card) payment for clubs, and beat the big box retailers hands down.  Balls and expendables were no brainers....  he we a buck or two above big box but no big deal.

He made a LOT of money from his shop.

Jamey

Amen. And he owned the shop, and made money. Only 400 members, he must have been good at his craft. Geez, what happened to pros fixing clubs too?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back