News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jeff_Mingay

Re: How many shots does Mike Clayton take here?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
Is Clayts eligible to answer?  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Andrew Brown

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
I think the infamy perpetuated via Youtube has been worse than the penalty stroke added to his score for breaching R18-2a (I assume he replaced the ball from where it was moved).
 :-[

Andrew

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 04:47:25 PM »
Taking advantage of the often overlooked (although never by me ... in any venue) "quantity discount."

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 06:55:22 PM »
The only relevance to golf architecture is that I did on on the 14th at NSWGC - one of the very best holes in the country!
It is staggering to think how anybody could be so uncoordinated.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:24:52 PM »
Mike,

As funny as the clip might appear, I don't think anyone can blame you - after the club seemingly slipped out of your hand - for (aggressively) attempting to stop it from hitting your ball under the circumstance.

This film will become even more legendary as time goes on, and your architectural legacy builds... in other words, could you image a similar clip feature Alister Mackenzie or Donald Ross or Alex Russell  :) 
jeffmingay.com

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 08:41:11 PM »
Is Mike Clayton the best combination professional golfer / golf course architect?

David_Elvins

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
Is Mike Clayton the best combination professional golfer / golf course architect?

Jack Nicklaus was a fair golfer, Bill. 

Clayts might be my favorite golfer/architect though.  Anyone who can walk onto the tee at 7am for the first round of a professional torunament and hit his first drive with out a visit to the range, warm up or practice swing, is pretty good value.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:57 PM »

Jack Nicklaus was a fair golfer, Bill. 

Clayts might be my favorite golfer/architect though.  Anyone who can walk onto the tee at 7am for the first round of a professional torunament and hit his first drive with out a visit to the range, warm up or practice swing, is pretty good value.

David, I don't know if JN has ever really designed a golf course.    I get the feeling that Mike Clayton has.  I really don't know and would like to.

Chris Kane

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:05 PM »
Crenshaw?

Scott Warren

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
Ace McBride (and others): Best pro/architect?

It will take a talented candidate in either discipline to trump James Braid!

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:59:10 AM »

David, I don't know if JN has ever really designed a golf course.    I get the feeling that Mike Clayton has.  I really don't know and would like to.

Bill, I don't want to take anything away from Mike, but he has had some great partners who contribute a lot to the design and construction process.  I don't know how hands on jack is so I can't really compare, but I always get a bit wary of describing some architects as real architects, and others as not real architects.

Walter Travis is probably Australia's greatest player architect.  Melvyn would probably nominate nick faldo. Or old tom.

Anyway, back on topic. To answer the original question, as I understand it, Mike was putting for par and tapped in for double bogey.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 05:35:49 AM »
Dave,

Putting for a birdie and tapped in for bogey - and Crenshaw would best me with half a set.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »
Mike

From the video we know Crenshaw was a damn better putter than you  ;D

Distance wise would there have been that much of a difference off the tee between the two of you ?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »
Ace McBride (and others): Best pro/architect?

It will take a talented candidate in either discipline to trump James Braid!

I was thinking in a more contemporary vein.   ;D

You could say the same about Old Tom as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back