News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"This is Cabot Links" trailer
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:46 AM »
Golf Digest teases Cabot Link's new trailer that's narrated by Donald Sutherland.  

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/blogs/wheres-matty-g/2011/03/video-this-is-cabot-links.html

Amazing imagery. As if I wasn't already drooling to play the course...
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

RJ_Daley

Re: "This is Cabot Links" trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Wow, that is some very tantalizing video.  Making a exploration of Nova Scotia, having a go at their old and new golf opportunities, and perhaps doing so during the Celtic festival month, looks like something to really plan for!   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:13:49 PM »
Ha! I knew it was gonna be Donald Sutherland. Helluva video.

Best of luck with the July opening.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »
Living in New England have followed the development of Cabot Links with much anticipation.  Video looks tremendous.  My only problem, as it is with the Bandon courses, is the lack of service for those with disabilities.  Mr. Keiser will allow folks with disabilities to use a cart with advanced written notice.  But only two carts per day are available and that is it.  If they are taken you are out of luck.  With Mr. Keiser's finances he could at least provide enough carts so that the disabled would have adequate access as I suspect two carts are not sufficient.

Jim Tang

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:55 PM »
Very nice.  Thanks for posting.  10 holes will be open this summer, and all 18 will be open next summer, correct?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 05:57:14 PM »
From the website.  10 holes open in July rest in Spring 2012.  This year 20 holes for $82 + tax  (cdn) and after that if times available free for next 10. 

Don Hyslop

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:12:08 PM »
The great thing about the shots in this video is that the holes seem to blend in so well with the land. Everything looks so natural.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Mark Buzminski

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 10:16:56 AM »
Magnificent.  As someone who has been to Cape Breton Island a few times already, all I can say is that anyone who goes there to play this course will absolutely love not just the course, but the whole experience.    The scenery on the Cabot Trail, just north of where they are building the course, is stunning.   The people there are among the most friendly and down to earth you will find anywhere. The first time I went there (about 12 years ago) with my then fiancee, now my wife, we stopped in a little town, Inverness, and bought a Scottsburn ice cream cone (try it if you go!), and I remembered thinking what wonderful golf linksland it was.   We will definitely be packing up the kids and heading back there in the not-too-distant future.   

Billsteele

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
I'm impressed with the fact that the narrator is one of the "pros from Dover."

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
Excellent trailer.

Given the title, I was optimistic that the spot would open with "tonight I'm gonna rock you" with narration by Marti DeBergi ;D
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:18 PM »
Did anyone else start to shake in anticipated fear at that horizon hole with the huge front bunker?  I can't imagine how much space is available left or right, but I'm already scared.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 07:52:37 AM »
Howard,
Thank you for posting this, the actual link can be found http://cabotlinks.com/trailer

Given that it was done by famed GCAer Michael Robin, I thought it was relevant to post! :)

Ben

Howard Riefs

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:52:30 AM »
Ben,

Thanks for sharing.  The trailer is wonderfully produced.

- Howard
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Brent Carlson

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

Cabot looks fantastic.  Hope it plays as linksy as it looks. 

It sounds funny hearing the moderator pronounce Cabot, looks like a Cabeau...

Ted Harris

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »
Has anyone made plans to visit Cabot Links yet ?

My tentative schedule will have me play Pebble Beach towards the end of August and then I will make my way to Cape Breton either before or after stops on Long Island and Pinehurst, NC.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:02:05 AM »
For those who live up that way - what kind of typical golf season can one expect?  I would guess April - October.  It is pretty far north, but moderated with a large body of water.  Most links courses can be played year round for the most part.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 08:22:47 AM »

My tentative schedule will have me play Pebble Beach towards the end of August and then I will make my way to Cape Breton either before or after stops on Long Island and Pinehurst, NC.

Ted, One of the worst times of year to play Pebble unless it's comped.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 08:30:59 AM »

Fuel for the G3 pretty pricey these days?  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:00:46 AM by Bill_McBride »

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:55 AM »
For those who live up that way - what kind of typical golf season can one expect?  I would guess April - October.  It is pretty far north, but moderated with a large body of water.  Most links courses can be played year round for the most part.

I think it's more like May to November.

Ted Harris

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:50:58 PM »

Ted, One of the worst times of year to play Pebble unless it's comped.

Seriously ? is it due to fog ? I plan on playing Pebble and Pasatiempo as a single but could slot in Old Macdonald if there are issues with weather or course conditions in Northern California ????

I have never played Pebble before though I did have a short stay in Monterey in early Dec. a few years ago and enjoyed great weather and a fantastic round at Pacific Grove.

Ted Harris

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:57:25 PM »

Fuel for the G3 pretty pricey these days?  :)

I work for an airline - It's the only way I could dream of taking this trip

My plan is to play the few US Open venues that allow public play and add a stop at Cabot Links to get my fill of links golf

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2011, 09:03:45 AM »
Ted, It's not weather related. It's maintenance. They typically aerate the greens at PB in August. Throw in the conflict with the Concourse de' elegance, and you have potential for a lower quality experience. Now, I should place a caveat. I caddied there ten years ago. It's possible that practices have changed.

Back when Mark Michaud was the super, June was the best time to play because he would take the greens to US Open speeds to acclimate, and learn how far they could get pushed. Also, back then they used huge tines, resulting in greens that stimped around 7. Certainly if you can see past the maintenance, and want to experience the architecture, go for it. But at $500 I would think optimizing value would be paramount.

BTW, Fog is not a deterrent to me, and is more likely in June, but, that's just my sick sense of enjoying all that mother nature has to offer.

If you have the luxury of going whenever you want, I still would either change your plans to June, or, call and ask for their aeration schedule. (and the Concourse)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ted Harris

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »
Thanks Adam for the heads up - might try to play Pebble the second week of September then or swap Pebble for Old Macdonald

Don Hyslop

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »

I now have a tee time for the official opening on July 1st. Boy with the entertainment planned and all the other happenings of the day, it is going to seem like Christmas morning.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2011, 05:39:10 PM »
How did I miss this before?  Tantalizing trailer.  I'm looking forward to seeing the course.

Looks like another fantastic Mike Robin film. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back