News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Silis

Tuxedo Club
« on: February 02, 2002, 07:46:13 AM »
I'm scheduled to play at the Tuxedo Club on a trip to LI/New Jersey in May. Anyone here have any info/comments/critique on this club?
                  Thanks,
                             Andy Silis
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matt_Ward

Re: Tuxedo Club
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 09:11:43 AM »
Andy:

A real "sleeper" often overlooked by many people when they visit the NY / NJ metro area. Although the club dates back to a founding in 1886 the existing 18 hole layout is the brainchild of Robert Trent Jones (1956) and may be one of his finest. The layout offers a mixture of penal, strategic and heroic design elements throughout the round. On the Doak scale I would easily give the course a solid 6.

The combination of a marvleous layout with its natural location in the countryside of Tuxedo Park, NY makes for a splendid marriage. I hope your visit is in late May to afford the full bloom of leaves and vegetation that is so natural the area.

The first two holes are also real tigers -- be sure to warm up before venturing to the first tee. In fact, I would say the first hole at Tuxedo is one of the more daunting tee shots you can play in the metro NY area when played from the tips.

The finishing holes are also wll done and bring you back to the clubhouse in fine fashion. I would not put Tuxedo on the first page of great clubs in the NY area (the top 25) because the competition is so stiff but Tuxedo will always keep your interest and you will not be disappointed. The scorecard reads as follows: 6,693 yards from the blues, par-71. Whites play 6,237 yards.

Hope this helps ... ;)

NAF

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 11:31:41 AM »
Andy,

I am a fan of the Tuxedo Club as well as I play at an annual outing there.  The first hole is a treat and a daunting tee shot as Matt said to a saddled back fairway.  "You then have a downhill approach to a well protected green...A bogey is an easy way to start..You then have a very good second hole that doglegs to the right.  Unfortunately. some condos were built by the 3rd-5th holes if my memory serves that took away from beautiful terrain.  There are some solid holes on the back including one with exposed rock near the green and a pretty par 3 over water..The green complexes have nice undulations and the course is kept in good condition..You will have a great round..Unfortunately, we'll never know how good the old Tuxedo Club was (Done by Flynn)..I think Dan Wexler is going to have some insights in the sequel to his Missing Links Book.

Matt Ward-I wouldnt say Tuxedo is a 6 in my book but that depends on your scale..I would say Alpine is a weak 6 and Tuxedo a high 5 but we could be splitting hairs here..Does that comparison sound right to you... ;D

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2002, 12:23:22 PM »
Gentlemen,
I am writing a book on William Flynn and am attempting to compile research materials on all the clubs Flynn designed or, as in the case of The Tuxedo Club's original course, redesigned.  I have not yet received a response from the club for materials relating to Flynn's work there.  Does anyone know an individual that I may speak with to utilize archival materials for inclusion in the book project?  Any assistance would be welcome.
Regards,
Wayne Morrison
wsmorrison@hotmail.com

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 03:05:36 PM »
NAF:

The number I gave to Tuxedo on the second thought is a tad high but not by much -- let's just say 5.5 is probably right.

Alpine could be as high when, should I say "if," they finish all the things they are trying to do (i.e. tree removal, new green for the 14th, etc.). Right now I'd give Alpine a 4.5 at best because the diversification of holes is rather limited and the need for major changes (specifically the 10th) still needs to be thought out.

I love Tillie's creation in Demarest, NJ, but I'm still waiting to see what eventually shakes out before being convinced the club is headed in the right direction. My mind is open but I'm taking the Missouri approach to Alpine -- "show me."

Sorry to hear about the encroachment of holes on Tuxedo's holes. I hope they have not cluttered up the gorgeous countryside that is one of the hallmarks in playing there. ;)

Andy Silis

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2002, 06:43:14 AM »
Thanks guys for the info regarding the Tuxedo Club! My sales rep in the Met section who is a great player says its "pure" and real special. I will be there towards the end of May and will post my thoughts.
                              Best Regards,
                                                  Andy Silis

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2002, 03:21:30 PM »
MSMorrison,

Jay Matola of the MGA is a member, as is Richard Suggs, who lives in the  gated community of Tuxedo.  Either or both should be able to assist you.

I agree with the above posts and like Tuxedo, unfortunately, like most clubs, they let there perimeter property get away, and now unsightly condos flank some fairways.

Tuxedo (the community and golf course) has a neat, if not fascinating history, including their racquet activities, one of only a dozen or so in the world.

Good luck on your project.

wsmorrison

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2002, 03:57:48 PM »
Thank you Patrick, I will contact those two gentlemen via the MGA.  I look forward to seeing the course and checking out any archival materials they might have illustrating Flynn's work there.  Thanks for the tip!
Wayne

Greg Stebbins

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2002, 07:55:42 PM »
Andy,

I really enjoy playing Tuxedo.  When you play there, be aware of 1) Mountain influence on putts and 2) The wind (it is always stronger than it seems).

It is the kind of course that you need to play a few times before you really understand its nuances, but I'm sure you will leave very impressed.  Without a doubt my favortie Trent Jones Course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back