News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Re: Princeton/Springdale Early Golf course evolution
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:01 AM »
Alcolm,

Go to your room without any dinner.
m

Joe Bausch

« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2011, 11:55:55 AM »
A few more articles on Princeton, these discussing the upcoming Flynn/Toomey iteration:

Oct 11, 1925 Evening Public Ledger.

The bottom of that articles is not focused, so here is a different view of it:

Oct 11, 1926 Daily Princetonian.

Jan 14, 1927 Evening Public Ledger (sorry for the small text):

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:26 PM »
Joe,

Very interesting how the artcles say the Princeton course was originally "home made".

Joe Bausch

« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
For me a very interesting part of that Hoyt article above, that is very difficult to read b/c of the small font, is this:

Hugh Wilson started Flynn on his career as a golf course architect, and now that he has arrived, he wanted this new Princeton course to be a fitting memorial to a man who did much more for the game of golf, not only in Philadelphia, but in the country as a whole, than is realized, save by those who were his intimates.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Joe,

Here's a little better view of that segment...who knew the guy would get such props simply by being able to place wooden stakes around a property to someone else's plans!  ;)  ;D

DMoriarty

« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2011, 04:47:20 PM »
I guess not even William Flynn knew about his own design work as a teenager at Kilkare in Heartswellville.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
Joe,

I had found the January 14, 1927 article from the Evening Public Ledger resting in another thread here on GCA, very enjoyable to read with the descriptions of some of the characters involved with the club including "Jinx" the club maker.

The fact that Flynn intended Springdale to be a fitting memorial to his friend, mentor and Princeton graduate Hugh Wilson is important. I am wondering if the writer interviewed Flynn for this article? Is it Flynn's opinion that Wilson "did much more for the game of golf, not only in Philadelphia but in the country as a whole than is realized, save by those who were his intimates"? Plus ca change!

Not much love for the Lambert redo of 1914 in the prior articles. Also with all the other improvements come trees, trees and more trees, ugh.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 05:22:24 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
Thanks to Jim Kennedy I have some routings of the original 9 hole course which preceded the purchase of the Stockton Farm.

NY Sun, March 22nd 1897

1897 by macmalc, on Flickr

NY Sun, April 2nd, 1899

1899 by macmalc, on Flickr

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »
Here is an old Postcard I found. It is undated but I would guess sometime around 1913-1914.

The clubhouse has been moved with the construction of the Graduate College. It appears the original 9 hole course is still intact. You can see the old 8th green below the clubhouse and the old 9th tee to the left of the green next to the road with golfers teeing off.

To the left is the Theological Seminary.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59563474@N04/5665982914/][/url]

Now when I look at this early Photo of the 9th green from Golf Magazine I can see the 8th green in the background behind the golfer in the center of the photo.

Princeton19026 by macmalc, on Flickr

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back