News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Well Done Mr. Weed, Ya Got Me
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
I recently played Jacaranda (West), a very enjoyable Bobby Weed design near Ft. Lauderdale, FL.  Thank you to Mr. McBride for steering me clear of the East course at Jacaranda, as he nominated it for "the absolute design style ever" (http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41814.msg888830.html#msg888830).  I may do a course profile on Jaca(W) eventually.

Anyways, the point of the thread is a pretty darned cool visual trick on the 7th hole.  The tee shot on this dogleg left is as below:

It's 230 to reach the bunker and some bigger number over it.  Hole goes left so carry the bunker if you can, or play out right of it.  Right?

Nope! That bunker appears to be on the left side of the fairway because of the fairway elevation/undulation, but it is actually on the right side of the fairway.  Very cool! [except that 2/3 of my ground tried to and succeeded in playing right of the bunker, which is actually not fairway and is instead dense vegetation].

This picture shows the same bunker is actually on the right side of the fairway.

Ed Oden

Re: Well Done Mr. Weed, Ya Got Me
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:32 AM »
Are the trees left of the bunker on the left or right side of the fairway?   

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
Are the trees left of the bunker on the left or right side of the fairway?   

Left.

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
So, in other words, you need to play through or over the trees in order to hit the fairway?  Sounds like something for Leonard Pinth-Garnell.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
Ed, no, not exactly.

There is fairway short of that bunker -- it's 230 yards to reach the bunker at its nearest point (right-edge of bunker) and probably 250 at its farthest point.  But, because of the way the fairway rises, then dips short of the bunker, it looks the bunker is much, much closer to the tee and the play is to go around it to the right (in fact, the fourth hole looked very similar to this one, but there was no deception and the play was to go around the bunker). 

I guess I should have asked for clarification on which trees you were asking about.  The trees in the forefront of the picture are left of the bunker, but they are also well short of it and can easily be carried.  The trees immediately next to the bunker are actually on another hole.

If I had known that this was a trick bunker I would have taken more pictures, but I guess part of the trick is that you don't know it's a trick until you've been tricked!

As an aside, there was lots of visual deception with the bunkering at JacaW.  Fairway bunkers sometimes turned out to be centreline bunkers.  Greenside bunkers turned out to be 20-30 yards short of the green.  Weed did some pretty interesting things with this completely flat layout -- enough so that I would now go out of my way to see some of his other work.

BCrosby

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:22 AM »
OT, but a note that Mr. Weed also did a terrific job on the Ponte Vedra Ocean Course several years ago. Kudos.

Bob

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:01:14 PM »
Mark, I'm still confused.  The palm trees that appear in your first picture to left of the bunker - Are they short of the bunker/dogleg and in the rough to the left of the fairway line so that you have to play through or over them to reach the fairway or are they past the bunker and on the right side of the fairway after the dogleg so that there are no trees between the tee and the landing zone?  If the latter, then it is a nice piece of deception.  But if it is the former, then I think Leonard Pinch-Garnell would be proud.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
The former.  But as I said earlier, you do not have to play over them to reach the fairway.  The ideal line for most golfers is at the fairway bunker.  Anything left of the bunker would be an attempt to cut-the-corner of the dogleg.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »
I bet Samurai Warrior could fix Ed's problem with this hole.   ;D

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
If you go to the clubs web site they give you a fly-over.
www.golfjacaranda.com/west-course/west-hole-7.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back