News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Furrowed rakes
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
what is everyone's take on furrowed rakes?

If you are watching bay hill, you will see that there are certain holes where every ball is plugging due to extra soft sand ends up plugging 75% of balls in bunkers.   If they used furrowed rakes, like they do in a large amount of PGA events, this problem goes away

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Furrowed rakes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
The only PGA Tour event that used/uses furrowed rakes is Muirfield. Using furrow rakes actually "scratches" the surface even deeper, thus creating a softer sand. The longer the teeth on the rake, the deeper they go, the softer the sand.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
I like the soft sand effect for tour players -- it's more of a challenge for them, apparently, and makes the competition a lot more exciting for me, as a spectator, to watch.  As for rakes, I would like to see them use a "rake" with a randomly curved solid edge, to get rid of the footprints, but still leave plenty of unevenness in the sand surface.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
It was nice to see players actually get penalized after hitting it a bunker.  Too many times they get prefect lies and is much easier to hit out of then green side rough because the lie is clean and they generate more spin.

As much as some of us enjoyed this,  I don't see this trend continuing as the average golf fan probably didn't enjoy the golf Sunday.  The PGA tour is all about viewers and retaining the average fan with birdies and excitement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back