News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Little

erotic design?
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:36 AM »
I love how some of the great architects of another time brought to life body shapes and particularly female lines into the shaping all the while prioritizing a commitment to what the game was about.  In short bonding art and golf. 

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Re: erotic design?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »
Patrick,

In the feature interview with Stanley Thompson, he mentions getting into a bit of trouble with the 9th at Jasper Park.

Here's the link,
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/stanley-thompson-march-2006/

Also, didn't George Thomas build two mounds on a course in California. I can't remember exactly, but it might have been Hollywood and they are called the Mae Wests. 

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »
I provided a thread while back with some provocative images of a woman in recline to go with the images of what might have been at Jasper. If someone can find the link - I'll look to see if I can find the images and repost them. There's a chance I "tossed" it all out because that predates the date when I bought my server.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
I was trying to find a picture of Desmond Muirhead's "Mermaid" hole, no luck.  I think he also designed one called "Marilyn Monroe."

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »
There was a piece in Delta's Sky Magazine a few years back about a French architect who wanted to bring imagery (and sensuality) to golf course architecture. Can't find it but will keep searching.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick Little

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »
Actually Desmond Muirhead's mermaid is not quite what I had in mind.  A little too "unsubtle".  As for Thompson.  He did get into trouble with the mounds on #9 green, but I think most missed the bunker leading up to the green!  Thompson also had Mae West on the 16th at Waskisiu, north of Saskatoon, Sask.  Two large mounds guarding the approach.  I think another designer in this erotic pace was Tom Simpson.

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:05:35 PM »
Mae West was on the back nine at Bel-air,12 if I recall correctly. not there any more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back