News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Goodwin

Bandon Short Course
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Got a glimpse of it last week -- spectacular.  They're just starting to grass, and the shaping isn't finished yet, but you can still see that Coore-Crenshaw is creating a unique golf landscape.  I mean that.  If there's a place that looks like The Preserve is going to look, I don't know of it.  Since that visit, I've talked to Mike Keiser and Bill Coore and wrote up a piece that's on my web site.   There's a great photo by Wood Sabold, too.

William_G

Re: Bandon Short Course
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »
Thanks Steve.

Love your books, Dream Golf....great info on Bandon and everything!!!!!!

Thank you.
It's all about the golf!

Steve Goodwin

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:06:07 PM »
Thanks, William.   I'm lucky to have the connection with Bandon.  Got to walk the short course with Ken Nice and Dave Zinkand, who's doing a lot of the shaping, along with Tony Russell, the local guy who did a lot of work on both PacDunes and Bandon Trails.   Small crew, but there's definitely a good vibe, and a lot of quiet confidence that they're doing something special.  Grant Rogers, the director of instruction out there, is already calling it his favorite course.   Easy to see why -- Grant is a man who putts everything from 150 yards in. 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
steve:
do you have a sense for the planned opening date? 

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:25 PM »
Here is the link to the website Steve mentions

http://stephenhardygoodwin.com/golf/golf/742/13waysoflookingattheshortcourseatbandon

The members of this site that have websites can encode them in there personal information and under their name on each post there is a dot that can be clicked to get to the website.

Therefore, Steve did not have to give us the URL for us to access the report he mentioned.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
Well looky there, click on the globe and it works just like you said, Garland.

Now tell me how many people around here besides me know this little tidbit?

Are you being genuinely helpful, or a smart ass?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Bill Brightly

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Thanks, William.   I'm lucky to have the connection with Bandon.  Got to walk the short course with Ken Nice and Dave Zinkand, who's doing a lot of the shaping, along with Tony Russell, the local guy who did a lot of work on both PacDunes and Bandon Trails.   Small crew, but there's definitely a good vibe, and a lot of quiet confidence that they're doing something special.  Grant Rogers, the director of instruction out there, is already calling it his favorite course.   Easy to see why -- Grant is a man who putts everything from 150 yards in. 

Will Dream Golf be updated to include the Short Course?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 01:10:59 PM »
Well looky there, click on the globe and it works just like you said, Garland.

Now tell me how many people around here besides me know this little tidbit?

Are you being genuinely helpful, or a smart ass?

Always the smart ass.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:57:47 PM »
I enjoyed Bandon Trails as much as either of the Dunes courses. I believe that The Preserve will clarify for the non-believers what the C&C intent was and directly/indirectly, eleveate the worth of BT in the eyes of the golfing world. I've always been taken aback by those that minimize the importance of Course # 3 at BD.

Think about those par 3 holes at BT...#2, #5, #12 and #17. There is not a weak nor forgettable hole among them. #17 was as close to an ace (about a foot) as I've ever come in my golfing lifetime. I loved #12, a true half-shot hole, held my breath and squeezed my cheeks on #5, and simply envisioned smoothing a little shot into #2. I anticipate similar one-shotters from the C-Squared at The Preserve.

ADDENDUM:
Four completely different shots among this quartet of par threes. #2 is a longish hole that plays like a mid-iron shot, due to the downhill slope. #5 is a pitch across a ravine. #12 is a blast with a hybrid, fairway metal or driver while #7 asks for a short or mid-iron.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:00:16 PM by Ronald Tricks O'Hooligan Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back