News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Double penalties in life and golf.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
Brain aneurysm and esoph cancer!

Funny thing, Christies is selling a bunch of Lichtenstein's today at auction and when I was looking through the ecatalogue I thought of you and Bette and nothing but happy memories came to mind.  Damn, cancer can suck the fun out of a good day.  Good luck you two!

Go to page 140-141 http://www.christies.com/eCatalogues/index.aspx?id=D7EE7A2D6A2FF9D6852577CF0077C130

SL_Solow

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Kalen;  You know the tree is there when you play the course.  Nowhere is it written that the center of the fairway is the right place to be on every hole.  While a steady diet of that form of obstacle might not be desireable, an occasional instance is acceptable.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
Kalen;  You know the tree is there when you play the course.  Nowhere is it written that the center of the fairway is the right place to be on every hole.  While a steady diet of that form of obstacle might not be desireable, an occasional instance is acceptable.

SL,

I wouldn't categorize that as "tree" I would call it a "small grove".  But yes, it is true, the grove is very obvious when standing on the tee.

P.S.  JME,

I'm sorry you feel that way, that's not the intent of why I posted those comments. CPC is nothing short of superb and is deserving of every last accolade it receives.  And to my novice GCA mind, its easily the finest routed course I've ever played!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:01:20 PM by Kalen Braley »

JMEvensky

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
Kalen,I was just kidding about CPC--I've played it.I should have added a smiley face to my post.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
And that grove is present in the 1930's aerials. It's hardly a penalty. The shot required to hold the green is a high one and those trees are not tall, by nature.

Jeff, I have to plead the fifth. I try not to let my play influence what I think of the architecture. But to clarify. If every bunker on every hole had this double penalty, it would be over kill. As Tom states, it's the player's fault for placing themselves there.

Having written that, I would change the tag from double penalty to doubly challenged.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 05:44:54 PM »
Locating your ball in a red staked hazard and then having your arm taken off to the elbow by an alligator when trying to retrieve it.

Ken Moum

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2011, 01:07:58 AM »
We have a fairway bunker at my home course that is behind a couple of recently planted cottonwoods. I don't so much mind being in a bunker AND behind a tree, except that the combination of bunker depth and low branches on the tree make advancing the ball almost impossible.

Is that a treble penalty?

K

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:48 AM »
Life is just a series of double penalties. You're born, you die, and there's no choice in either.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back