News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lawrence Largent

Country Club of Spartanburg
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
Just wondered if any of the guys had played the course after the Spence work.  I'm supposed to play this Sunday morning.  I saw were its suppose to be a Ross but the Ross Society doesn't list it as one of his courses.

Lawrence

Michael Whitaker

Re: Country Club of Spartanburg
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 01:10:16 AM »
Not a Ross.

The course is outstanding with the Kris Spence remodel. Fabulous green complexes and bunkering.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:44:18 PM »
I'm a member. I always heard 9 holes were Ross, 9 weren't. Since they can't prove it, it's "Ross inspired. "
Anyway, the Spence redo is wonderful. The greens are larger, more fair, but still the meat of the course. Getting faster by the day now. It plays much longer than the card. If you play the backs, I hit driver on one par 3 (#6). #13 is an unreachable par 4 for me from the tips.
It's an underrated gem. Enjoy.
I would join you but I'm playing in a tournament about an hour away Sunday.   

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:48:56 PM »
A semi-Ross course spruced up by Kris Spence. And in Spartanburg, no less.

Why did I not know this course existed? Mike Whitaker, you must not keeping me clued in as thoroughly as I thought you were. Spartanburg, how could I miss that? ???

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:52:51 PM »
I failed to mention CC of Spartanburg was founded in 1908.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
Brent - CC of Spartanburg was a nice member's course before Kris Spence remodeled it, but nothing special. It is now a wonderful course that can hold its on with any of the "classic" country club courses in the state. I think you would love it. Its got just enough quirk to keep you happy. The greens are fantastic with lots of internal contours. And, there are a few unique holes that you only find on old courses... like a 275yd par four that plays straight uphill to a well bunkered, well contoured green. The hole sounds terrible, but it is fantastic and works as a great transition from the lower part of the property to the high ground. And, it's very walkable... you'd love it.

Come to the upstate and I'll take you for a visit.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Finally got around to playing at Spartanburg CC last week thanks to an invite from GCA'er Bruce Wellmon. Very sporty conditions as they were in the 16th day of a dry spell making the greens and aprons about as un-receptive and firm as they get. The largish greens were no match for a low-trajectory approach shot. Generally, I like small greens but when you firm things up nicely, a set of medium to large greens plays small. Especially in the case of post-Spence Spartanburg where the greens are often very effectively sectioned into smaller zones that play like greens within a green.

It's a hilly parkland course (i.e. it has trees!) but not in the least claustrophic, good sight lines available on all but a couple of the lower-lying holes. Bruce indicated that it plays a little tighter in high summer when the rough is not dormant. I thought the greenside bunkering was fair but very effective in placement and the fairway bunkering has just enough quirk that I can see why Mike Whitaker might like the course! A fun day was had by all.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:58:10 PM by Brent Hutto »

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »
Finally got around to playing at Spartanburg CC last week thanks to an invite from GCA'er Bruce Wellmon. Very sporty conditions as they were in the 16th day of a dry spell making the greens and aprons about as un-receptive and firm as they get. The largish greens were no match for a low-trajectory approach shot. Generally, I like small greens but when you firm things up nicely, a set of medium to large greens plays small. Especially in the case of post-Spence Spartanburg where the greens are often very effectively sectioned into smaller zones that play like greens within a green.

It's a hilly parkland course (i.e. it has trees!) but not in the least claustrophic, good sight lines available on all but a couple of the lower-lying holes. Bruce indicated that it plays a little tighter in high summer when the rough is not dormant. I thought the greenside bunkering was fair but very effective in placement and the fairway bunkering has just enough quirk that I can see why Mike Whitaker might like the course! A fun day was had by all.

We caught CCS on a day that it played truly firm and fast. Probably THE most f&f conditions that I have seen for us. Rather sporty is right. I enjoyed it.
And I truly appreciate Kris Spence's work. 
Brent and I are doing a post Dixie Cup "home and home" with our joint recripricals. Next up CCC.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back