News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Harris

St Patrick's golf links
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »
some recent pictures for those who have never seen St Patrick's golf links in Donegal (closed/abandoned for now)

these pics were taken from the Tom Morris nine at Rosapenna - sorry my camera doesn't have a ton of zoom but you can make out the light brown strips of fairways above the sand blowout in the distance

Tom_Doak

Re: St Patrick's golf links
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
Ted:

That "sand blowout" is a construction scar from two or three years ago when Jack Nicklaus was hired to redesign the course.  They starting making a big cut with scrapers along the side of the dune/hill, and then just abandoned it after a month when the construction crew were not paid.

Ted Harris

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
It is too bad someone with insanely deep pockets couldn't buy the land and redo the course and maybe re-open with moderate accommodation onsite similar to Barnbougle Dunes

Donegal is very beautiful and not as remote feeling as it once was -  Sheephaven Bay is especially stunning and since the course is already there I am sure any new owner could do serious renovations on the land without worrying about environmental concerns

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:12:10 PM by Ted Harris »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
Ted:

I agree.  Unfortunately the guy who owns it paid way too much for the place, and now there is no way he can make the numbers work.  I've heard that Nicklaus also tried to find someone to back the completion of the project, but apparently he has not been successful.

JWL

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 04:32:56 PM »
St Patrick is a beautiful piece of land on Sheephaven's Bay  (what a great name btw)
I was with Jack and Chris Cochran during the routing process a couple of years ago, and really anxious to work on that site.   some beautiful holes were out there.
Anyway, a great disappointment as the world economy halted the work.
BTW, the 'scar' that was referred to was part of the new 10th hole.  There was a natural ridge of existing 'blowouts' that was being expanded.   There were never any 'scrapers' on the site...only a D4, small track hoe, and a few small wagons.
I hope it gets constructed one day....I would love to visit upon completion.    I enjoyed the area.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 04:25:54 AM »
With its proximity to Rosapenna, St.Pats seems like the perfect opportunity to build a cheap and very good sustainable golf course...

Unfortunately - to the best of my knowledge - Ireland has yet to see a "golf first" developer. The only one I can think of is Pat Ruddy at The European... I'm sure there are others there... somewhere...

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:59:36 AM »
Ted:

I agree.  Unfortunately the guy who owns it paid way too much for the place, and now there is no way he can make the numbers work.  I've heard that Nicklaus also tried to find someone to back the completion of the project, but apparently he has not been successful.

Interesting that the owner would rather leave the property as it is now than sell at a loss and get some of his money back...although it's probably true that the land's value is not as high now as it might be when flush developers are clamoring for linksland again.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »
Ted:

Tom,
Any idea what "way too much" is?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 12:41:54 PM »
Jeff:

I think the number I heard that was paid for the land was something like 10-12 million euros ... a staggering sum for an abandoned golf course with no buildings on property, but you know how crazy things were in 2006!

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 04:38:53 PM »
Jeff:

I think the number I heard that was paid for the land was something like 10-12 million euros ... a staggering sum for an abandoned golf course with no buildings on property, but you know how crazy things were in 2006!

ouch :o :o :o
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
bump\

so an internet search reveals relton development out of Dublin was the developer and went under, owing creditors 5 million euros, but another article also states that another family paid 11 million euro for the property (probably the # Tom was referring to)
anyone have the scoop.
also, what is the state of the land at this moment?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 02:07:31 PM »
Trump Ireland? The greatest course in the country!!

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 02:08:39 PM »
Trump Ireland? The greatest course in the country!!

iiiickkkkkk

Ken Kearney

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 05:23:37 AM »
Jeff,
The lands were taken in charge by the bank and it is reputed that the property has been acquired by an"international" developer... wow that sounds like a lawyers explaination...
PM if you wish...

KK
KK.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back