News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

The first list
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:21:04 AM »

When was the first course ranking published?What courses were on top?

Anthony

Sean_A

Re: The first list
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:27:20 AM »
This must be an early candidate.  Even if it isn't the first, this list is incredibly interesting.  I dare say this list goes a long way to explaining a great many courses which we still see on top 100 lists.  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/tom-macwood-the-worlds-finest-courses

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:43:32 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »
Golf Digest's first ranking ws in 1966...it was of America's 200 toughest courses

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
I guess 1939
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
This must be an early candidate.  Even if it isn't the first, this list is incredibly interesting.  I dare say this list goes a long way to explaining a great many courses which we still see on top 100 lists.  

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/tom-macwood-the-worlds-finest-courses

Ciao

It's interesting how poor soil and/or tree growth management and poorer maintenance and presentation have pushed many courses, especially in mainland europe down the list, both in relative and in absolute terms.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:25:44 PM »
Well we know that Joshua Crane, MacKenzie, and Behr were arguing about what made a good course quite early. Joshua Crane came up with a rating system that could be somewhat objectively applied and compared the result to existing published ratings. That would be before the 1939 date Adam suggested.

See Bob Crosby's IMO piece.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
GOLF ILLUSTRATED (U.S.) did a series on the great courses in the mid 1920's ... they did not say they were ranking the great courses in order, but it started with National Golf Links, Pine Valley, and Lido.  I think they did 8-10 in all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back