News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Plymouth Recommendations
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:34:14 AM »
Off to Plymouth for work in the spring.  I've never been there.  I'll have a day or to for play.  For you UK-ers what shouldn't I miss in the Plymouth area (or enroute from Heathrow)?  Thanks  JC

Scott Warren

Re: Plymouth Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Jonathan,

Will you be driving? If so most of the heathland is en route (or just about) from Heathrow.

Hankley would work really well, or Liphook.

Alternatively, you can fly from London to Plymouth with Air Southwest and then take a drive while you are in Plymouth to go and see St Enodoc. It will take about an hour each way, but will be worth it.

If driving and you were happy to break up the trip by stopping in at Bournemouth, then Ferndown, Broadstone and Remedy Oak become options.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:52:32 AM by Scott Warren »

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
JC

The world is your oyster.  From Heathrow to Plymouth encompasses a lot of fine golf courses.  Roughly speaking the M25/M3 corridors near London and without heading away from Plymouth include:

The 3 Ws
Swinley
Sunningdale
Berkshire
Wentworth
New Zealand

Getting further from London down the M3

Camberley Heath
Hankley Common
Liphook
Hindhead

Around Southampton

Stoneham
Hayling Island
Unknown and very good downland course not ar from Winchester - Hockley

Bournemouth/Poole

Broadstone
Ferndown
Isle of Purbeck
Parkstone

M5 Corridor near Exeter

East Devon GC

If you can't stop for any of these there is always Yelverton in Dartmoor National Park - not too far due north of Plymouth.

If all this fails or you just fancy something different, if diaries work you are welcome to come up and play Burnham.  I think its 1.5ish hours.  Of course, places like Saunton, St Enodoc and Perranporth are also easy to hit.

Ciao

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 07:02:33 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
Jonathon

Plymouth is quite decent place to spend some time.  As the Naval base winds down it is finding its way, but still has its history.  I’ve eaten well and it has a decent theatre.  All set in a large natural harbour.

I liked East Devon but much nearer (20mins) and with better golf and views is Thurlestone  (Colt)  Not a classic but you‘ll have a good time playing “Britain’s Pebble Beach”

St Mellion is nearby for a contrast, but if 1hr 40mins is not too much then St Enodoc seems to be THE course to play in the west country.

There are other options whose names I can’t recall. A MacKenzie near Torquay and a wild moorland track with large rocks in the fairway that I’ve been told is great fun.

You don’t say when you’re over but I’ll be down near there from the 11th to 18th of March if that’s any good for you? IM me if you can meet up.

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 01:14:51 PM »
Tony,

Are you thinking of MacKenzie's Teignmouth? Not a bad course but not one to go out of the way for I would say, though good views on a clear day.

Jonathan,

There are more than enough heathland options around western London and Heathrow, also plenty of discussions in the past (and at present) of which ones to play on here.

Sean's route takes you down the M3, but I'd suggest heading down the M4 to the M5 as when you get to Devon the roads will be slow enough. You could also stop of at Burnham & Berrow (if Sean can't meet up with you then perhaps I could, again if we can get diaries to work), or a brief detour up the M5 could bring you the quirk of Painswick?

All others suggested are worth checking out if on a longer tour of the Devon / Cornwall area but with just a couple of days I'd suggest Saunton (East) and St Enodoc as your bets.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
Sound advice from all above - as always. The light is beginning to improve and the days are getting noticeably longer already. None the less, I'd be inclined to stick to courses not far from the M4/M5, especially in the south west where the minor roads are very slow going. Bring your camera and give us a photo tour, please. Enjoy yourself!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back