News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (Thru Hole 11 Up)
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »
Hole #11: 529_503_484_402_382

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (Thru Hole 11 Up)
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
Hole #12: 142_129_115_110_106
There is a left section out of view in both photos. Great, enormous green.

From the side
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:26:25 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (Thru Hole 12 Up)
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:31 PM »
Hole #13: 397_383_370_334_316
The hole you wait a round for. Perfection.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:26:46 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (Thru Hole 14 Up)
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 10:24:06 PM »
Hole #14: 401_378_356_291_271

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 10:26:59 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 10:25:41 PM »
Ron, why is 13 perfection?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 10:35:45 PM »
1. Gently-blind drive over hill. Hill not so high that you are intimidated, but you have to think about the unknown a bit.

2. Fairway has cleft in it. High left side kicks down to the right at times, while it hangs ball up at others (I think Kevin got stuck up there.) Right side is very open but brings that pond into play on approach.

3. Better look at green from right, but aforementioned danger of pond from that side.

4. Left and center give a straight line to green over fronting bunker, but the problem is you come over the fronting bunker, which is intimidating.

5. The green is devilish. Speeds must be brilliant in the summer, as they were all we could handle on a soggy day in February.

6. This is the most bucolic corner of the course. It is what I imagine Amen Corner to be at Augusta, minus the hubub and din.

7. So many hole locations on the green.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:53:17 PM »
Hole #15: 471_449_431_425_418

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (Thru Hole 16 Up)
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
Hole #16: 413_393_372_350_345

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Reminds me of Sewell's Point in Norfolk.  GCA says Flynn, the course says Ross.  Good affordable simple un-crowded golf.

No word on access to Pine Crest, assume just a phone call?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
Carl...was the question posed? If yes, I apologize for not answering it. They have no website and no on-line tee time system. Definitely auld-skool in that regard. Yes, a phone call will suffice to make a tee time. Heck, you can probably show up and find some space. It's a course that builds and builds...no crescendo at the end but, as you say: quality, affordable golf.

Pine Crest knows that Wilson and Ross built the golf course. The lineage is indisputable and makes for a terrific story.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
Reminds me of Sewell's Point in Norfolk.  GCA says Flynn, the course says Ross.  Good affordable simple un-crowded golf.

No word on access to Pine Crest, assume just a phone call?

Me too. I as reviewed the photos it reminded me of Sewells Point with some straight holes and some dog legs.

I think Pinecrest is more authentic and retro because Sewells Point has no. 11, a par five with a greenside pond with a fountain and wooden planks.

I am not sure I would go play Pinecrest on purpose but it could be a good place to stop along I95.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 06:21:19 PM »
1. Gently-blind drive over hill. Hill not so high that you are intimidated, but you have to think about the unknown a bit.

2. Fairway has cleft in it. High left side kicks down to the right at times, while it hangs ball up at others (I think Kevin got stuck up there.) Right side is very open but brings that pond into play on approach.

3. Better look at green from right, but aforementioned danger of pond from that side.

4. Left and center give a straight line to green over fronting bunker, but the problem is you come over the fronting bunker, which is intimidating.

5. The green is devilish. Speeds must be brilliant in the summer, as they were all we could handle on a soggy day in February.

6. This is the most bucolic corner of the course. It is what I imagine Amen Corner to be at Augusta, minus the hubub and din.

7. So many hole locations on the green.

Here is the aerial from Google Earth (13 is on the left side of the pic). 

Here's the Historic Aerial Link with the Topo Overlay:

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=1.6E-05&lat=34.6312182928076&lon=-79.0777463925781&year=T2000

Ron's 3rd Picture definitely flattened the impact of the cleft on the fairway.  The high left side is roughly 7-8 feet above the right side, but if you hug the high side enough, there is actually a forward kick toward the green.

I didn't get hung up so much as I overhooked my drive in the morning round, so I was stuck behind the last cluster of trees on the left (nothing like having to aim a punch out at the water and pray for the hook). However, in the afternoon round, I hit a small draw that landed on the high side and ran forward.  Playing partner hit a good drive down the middle, but the cleft actually deflected him right, costing him some distance. We're usually around same length, and I ended up 15-20 yards ahead.

One of the neatest looking fairways I've seen in some time, and an excellent green.  Also, if you want to overcompensate left to avoid the pond, there is a little chipping area on the left side of the green, but your next shot will be sliding away from you very quickly.

Easily the best hole of the day.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2014, 06:35:53 PM »

I am not sure I would go play Pinecrest on purpose but it could be a good place to stop along I95.

Scott,

I honestly think it is a place you would want to play on purpose.  I'm not sure you would want to do the 3.5-4 hours just for the round, but it's worth more than "try it if I'm passing through."  It has appeared on several "Hidden Gem / Biggest Surprise" threads here.  Jim Kennedy gave us the suggestion and Cory Lewis expressed his enthusiasm for it as well.  I will add it to my Pinehurst rota, as Lumberton is only an hour south.

I definitely need to get there on a less swampy day (i.e. not 4 days after the Storm of the Century), as I'd imagine the chipping areas take on a whole new level of interest when it's firm.  Plus, we were told that Fuller's Old Fashion Barbeque is one of the best places to eat, but we weren't told that it closes by 4:00 on Sunday, so we missed the experience.

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2014, 06:38:55 PM »
Here's a little more oral history from an old Dick Wilson thread from Adam Messix:

"This is an interesting discussion on Wilson.  At Plymouth Country Club, Flynn was the Architect who designed the course while Wilson and Ellis Maples were "Construction Supervisors." 

What is interesting is that Wilson designed a course on his own that same year, Pine Crest Country Club in Lumberton, NC.  Wilson was brought there by Daisy Sunday Meehan and her brother Pete Sundy whom Wilson had become aquainted to during the Sundy's time living in Delray Beach, FL.  Wilson designed the original nine holes of Pine Crest (FKA Lumberton Golf Course).  The course was constructed using WPA funds.  The design, the green complexes in particular, remind me of Plymouth.  They have very much a "Shinnecock lite" look and have collars that are mowed at fairway height where a ball with run off down the hill.  Wilson's hole are today #1,2,3,8,9,10,11,17 & 18.  There have been a couple of changes, the current 8th green was moved further back and the hole changed to a par five, the 10th hole ws lengthened, and the final green were redone in 1955 and it blends in with the surrounding terrain much more than the rest of the Wilson holes.  The bunkers were rebuilt by Russell Breeden during I believe the 1990s and don't fit the Flynn style that was built at Plymouth.  Although the exact dates of when he was at Plymouth cannot be confirmed, we know that Wilson left Plymouth and went to Pine Crest.

Donald Ross designed the other nine holes in 1946 and were constructed in circa 1955."

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2014, 06:46:21 PM »
Hole #14: 401_378_356_291_271

I really liked the simplicity of #14 as well.  Again, snap hook punished, small draw ideal, but if you can't turn a ball over, you have plenty of room right (with the punishment of a longer 2nd and dealing with the greenside bunker). 

Of course, I look at the above photo and want to know "WHY?! WHY?! WHY in the hell are there 3 newly planted pines perpendicular to the approach ~ 40 yards short of the green?"  To keep blocked approaches from reaching the greenside bunker?

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2014, 06:57:51 PM »
Some day, a genius is going to invent an affordable camera that creates instant topographical images of greens, so people can appreciate just how cool some of these holes are.

#16 was one of my favorite greens, with so much internal contour in a relatively tiny area. 

#15 is an unfortunate victim of technological advances, but is still a fun half-par hole with some interesting recovery options if you miss your 3-wood attempt to reach in two.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Kevin,
Several nice surprises in the area, one is the Richmond Pines GC. It's 9 Ross and 9 Gene Hamm.  The Hamm 9 is not as mellow as the Ross but it's a nice complement.  It's about thirty minutes from S.Pines, s on on rt. 1, just around  4mis. past the Rockingham speedway.
About an hour s. of S. Pines is the Cheraw CC (Cheraw SC), another Ross. I think the last time I played it was about the same period that I played the Monroe CC (Monroe, NC) which is another Ross 9 coupled to a 9 by Tom Jackson. Much different terrain at MCC, and Richard Mandell was in there a few years back to clean up the Ross course and, I think, do a little work on the Jackson 9. It was fun before his work, can't think it'd be less fun now.  ;D  It's a bit of a ride from S. Pines, maybe 1 1/2 hr., but it's a nice diversion.  
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 07:44:58 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:08 PM »
How could I forget the Asheboro Muni (Asheboro NC), I played it in 2012.  ::) Go there if you want to experience a 9 hole Ross that probably hasn't had anyone messing with it since it was built.

Small greens, a little tight, could use a few lightning strikes here and there, but really fun. If you want to 'fit in' bring your pull cart, they're everywhere.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 08:02:02 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 10:57:21 PM »
Hole #17: 341_327_316_311_306

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 10:59:23 PM »
Hole #18: 437_405_386_342_300

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

BCowan

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (All 18 Holes Up)
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »
Thanks Ron, course looks nice.  I like the green at 15..

Ronald Montesano

Re: Pine Crest(Lumberton, NC)Preservation Photo Thread (All 18 Holes Up)
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2014, 11:58:02 PM »
BCowan,

They built interesting greens in Lumberton and you knew that the hole would finish in style. Regardless of the path you took to get to the green, you were never out of the hole in a match, thanks to those putting surfaces.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back