News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Chaplin

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Booked For 9
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57:30 AM »
It will be holes such as 3,4,5, 7 and 18 that may struggle to clear in time for you.
Cave Nil Vino

James Boon

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 06:03:44 AM »
Mark,

My optimism is probably more like desperation as I've not managed to get to play Woking yet and can't wait to give it a go!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Gareth Williams

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
I'm very local so am happy to keep a check on things but have to say it looks very unlikely to be playable by next week  :-[

We are away for Christmas but back on the 27th/28th so can check then and report back.

Gareth

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
Mark,

My optimism is probably more like desperation as I've not managed to get to play Woking yet and can't wait to give it a go!

Cheers,

James

How about right ahead of Buda next September?  I am thinking Woking - New Zealand - Buda.

The weather over your way sounds rather desperate!  But a White Christmas to all in the UK!   ;D

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2010, 01:55:57 AM »
Letter to the Irish Times yesterday.

"Madam(!)

Can I suggest a changed lyric for an old song.

I'm dreaming of a mild Christmas,
just like the one's I used to know..."
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 04:32:47 AM »
I will call on the 27th or 28th and get a reading on the situation, but it doesn't look good. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Gareth Williams

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
I will call on the 27th or 28th and get a reading on the situation, but it doesn't look good. 

Ciao

Sean

I can pop in there tomorrow or Wednesday if it helps?

Let me know,
Gareth

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »

Ciao

Sean

I can pop in there tomorrow or Wednesday if it helps?

Let me know,
Gareth

Gareth

If you are out and about please do have a look/pop in for a chat (maybe you will get lucky and score a cup of tea) and make some sort of honest appraisal.  I will call the club tomorrow as well.  We had serious melting today up this way, but I am still very doubtful about Thursday. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »
I spoke with the office today and it would seem there is a 50-50 chance of playing Thursday if the weather continues the current pattern of not dropping below 0 at night.  I will check in tomorrow and hopefully get a more definitive answer.  I enquired about Friday as an alternative at it seems it is available if folks can make it and golf is called off Thursday.  Who would be interested?

Ciao

Gareth Williams

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 06:56:15 AM »
I spoke with the office today and it would seem there is a 50-50 chance of playing Thursday if the weather continues the current pattern of not dropping below 0 at night.  I will check in tomorrow and hopefully get a more definitive answer.  I enquired about Friday as an alternative at it seems it is available if folks can make it and golf is called off Thursday.  Who would be interested?

Ciao

Weather is pretty much the same as yesterday here (4 miles from Woking GC) so look forward to hearing if the course is open. I will still swing by at some point today and have a look if I have time to Sean.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 12:00:57 PM »
Sorry all, but the club has cancelled our booking due to snow. 

Ciao

Gareth Williams

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
Sorry all, but the club has cancelled our booking due to snow. 

Ciao

That's a real shame Sean....conditions seem fine today in the area. We walked the dogs round the New Course at Sunningdale and that looked in super condition despite the recent weather so I was expecting Woking to be open.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Cancelled
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
After the snow goes you still need the soil to warm up, its usually a couple of days before the soil profile unfreezes. A very dangerous situation can exist when it looks fine. The roots are frozen an inch or more down, the top looks fine. Under this situation the movement of golfers can severe the roots.... so its no play.
If you see unusual pools of water thats often that the soil profile is frozen and cant conduct the water to the drains.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tony_Muldoon

Re: WOKING 30 DECEMBER: Cancelled
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 06:42:49 PM »
Shame, thanks for trying Sean.

I played 14 rounds in September in Ireland, Scotland and Wales and have managed 1 round since. As soon as I told you my back miight not let me play, it cleared up.  I have to work this weekend and I'm goind sitr crazy. Golf was always supposed to be a winter game. Doh!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back