News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Underwood

GCA lodging recommendations - Northern Ireland
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
I have a business meeting in Belfast from May 29 - June 1. ;D  My plan is to arrive in Northern Ireland a few days before the meeting begins and play Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, and Portstewart.  Can any of you recommend lodging in Newcastle and the Portrush/Portstewart areas of the country?  I will need lodging in Newcastle for one night and the Portrush/Portstewart area for two nights.  Any ideas would be very welcome.  Thank you in advance.

Anthony Gray

Re: GCA lodging recommendations - Northern Ireland
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:19:39 PM »

Slieve Donard,you can even aim at it the next day.

Anthony

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:32:54 PM »
GCA.com member Matthew Hunt's aunt has a very nice small B&B right on RCD. PM me if you are interested and I will get you the info.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
GCA-er Tom Huckaby has relative (cousin, I think) who has a B&B near Portstewart. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »
Michael

In the centre of Portrush try  

http://www.adelphiportrush.com/

Our party enjoyed the hotel very much about 1.5 years ago and it is much cheaper than Bushmills.  

Also in town around the harbour is a wonderful restaurant

http://www.ramorerestaurant.com/

Its a bit of a jumble place, but the areas serving fusion asian food is very good.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:33:32 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
GCA-er Tom Huckaby has relative (cousin, I think) who has a B&B near Portstewart. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Our group,two couples stayed there in Fall 2007 after the Walker Cup.  I don't know the status now, but there was no food service (just a "B" rather than "B&B"!) and there is precious little else in Castlerock beyond that very solid links.

We didn't find the local food in Northern Ireland to be terrific, but there is a really good Chinese restaurant, the Water Margin, in Coleraine which is the largest town in the region.  The place was so attractive, the food so good and the service so lovely that we ate there twice in three nights.  http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/water-margin-restaurant-coleraine    The other night we met Wardo Peyronnin and his rabble at the Wine Bar in Portrush...but that's another story!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »
Michael, the Slieve Donard in Newcastle is a lovely hotel. Also as Doug says, my Grandparents have a great B+B on the course overlooking the mountains and the 18th green. It is very popular with RCD members.

On the food side of things, as Bill alluded to some of the food in Northern Ireland may seem primarily functional. However around places like Belfast or Newcastle the restaurants are of a high standard. Talking to golfers the place’s they really enjoyed in Newcastle are Vanilla, Vila Vinci, Spice Fusion and the Mourne Seafood Bar outside the town which has won a range of international awards.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Benedicts Hotel in Belfast is always good fun.  I have stayed there on two different trips.

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
I was there last month.  Slieve Donard was special.  Bushmills was very good.  I recommend both

Ted Harris

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 01:20:25 AM »
for Portrush I could recommend a few

if you want to stay in a full service hotel somewhere scenic with a nice restaurant on property then

http://www.bayviewhotelni.com/

if you want a full service hotel in town that also has a decent restaurant as well as other choices nearby then

http://www.ramadaportrush.com/

if you want a modern b&b right on the doorstep of Royal Portrush then

http://www.linksviewportrush.co.uk/

Martin Toal

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:03:17 AM »
The Slieve is a no-brainer for RCD, and I second the Bushmills Inn for RP.

Michael Underwood

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 10:45:43 AM »
Gentlemen,

I really appreciate the lodging suggestions that have been offered for the Newcastle and Portrush/Portstewart areas of Northern Ireland.  I will be in contact with some of these places soon to get lodging booked.  Sorry for the late reply and thank you as I have been traveling for a few days and been away from the computer.

Matt Harrison

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 02:08:28 PM »
Slieve Donard and Bushmills are both great.  Bayview near Portrush is not near as good as Bushmills, but is nice and, obviously, does have a great view.

Michael Underwood

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
The golf portion of the trip to Belfast is now booked.  I have golf booked at Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, and Castlerock G.C..  As it turns out I will not need lodging in Newcastle as I am playing Royal County Down in the morning and then driving north, but have booked two nights at the Bushmills Inn so that I am in a central location to Royal Portrush, Portstewart, and Castlerock.  I have not played any of these courses since 1998 and am looking very forward to the return trip to Northern Ireland.  Again, thanks to all that helped me with lodging suggestions.

Martin Toal

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
The golf portion of the trip to Belfast is now booked.  I have golf booked at Royal County Down, Royal Portrush, Portstewart, and Castlerock G.C..  As it turns out I will not need lodging in Newcastle as I am playing Royal County Down in the morning and then driving north, but have booked two nights at the Bushmills Inn so that I am in a central location to Royal Portrush, Portstewart, and Castlerock.  I have not played any of these courses since 1998 and am looking very forward to the return trip to Northern Ireland.  Again, thanks to all that helped me with lodging suggestions.

Michael

You will have a grand time. The people of NI are pretty friendly, although they sometimes conceal it with dry humour. Very dry humour.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 12:49:39 PM »
No doubt about Slieve Donard -- if downtown in Belfast be sure to check out the Hastings Hotel.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back