News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Scottish Open heads to the links
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 06:17:44 AM »
Ren Club would be great for the pros, with a good mix of birdie chances and ball-breakers, as well as a finish that would sort the wheat from the chaff at the business end of the tournament. I'll cross my fingers!

Niall C

« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 06:57:27 AM »
Ah Niall,

then you didn,t play it from the backs. I imagine you played it from the whites which is around 6550 ish. The blacks are just over 7000 yards but I believe there are some tees futher back which are not used but there for just in case which are 7400 ish if memory serves me correctly (I will check when I am there next week if I remember)

As with any course the pros will tear it apart in benign weather if it isn't tricked up. I don't believe CS should be criticised for this or do you think TOC or Augusta are poor. Indeed, I would say a course that is playable for a higher handicapper but challenging for the lower handicapper from the appropriate tees was a good one and maybe should be promoted more than many of the grind you down type ones seen week in, week out on the TV.

Jon

Sorry Jon, I thought I did say the second back tees, certainly not the blues. I'm not sure I would "criticise" CS for being wide open, it simply is what it is. The guys have created what they set out to create which was something that was fun to play and easy to get round. I would say, and have said in other threads, that this doesn't particularly appeal to me although I certainly enjoyed the course but that enjoyment disappated with each succesive round. To my mind a "great" course gets better with each successive round. But thats just my view, and I don't think I'm really criticising the course but arguing its not in the "great" category for the reasons stated.

However back to the architecture, both TOC and Augusta are able to defend themselves with the greens, or the pin placements in the case of TOC. I'm not sure that CS can offer quite that defense as a lot of the holes don't have the contours or drop offs to stop tour pros aiming straight for the flag without any real danger. Thats what intrigues me, to see what they would do to make the course a"proper" test for the big boys.

BTW, I agree with Mike W on the respective merits of the 18th at both KB and CS. The approach at KB 18th is too demanding for someone hitting with a wood while at CS the main gripe is the tee. They need to re-orientate it or put up a marker post because the landing area is a good 50 yards or so to the left of where you think it is. Even after a couple of rounds, I still struggled to find the line.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:23 AM »
Niall,

You are right that the greens at CS don't offer the same protection of contouring that TOC does. It could be that they have to funk the greens up a little in order to provide this on some of the holes though there are greens where you do not want to miss the green on any side and if the course plays fast and firm then it will provide an interesting challenge to the tour players.

I do not see low scoring as too much of an inditement of a course as some on this site. I think the introduction of rough at Augusta is tragic and would rather see lower scores and no rough than the reverse.

My gripe with the 18th at KB is it is so out of place with a links style course. I agree that a marker post on the last at CS would be a welcome addition.

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2010, 06:02:54 AM »
2011 Scottish Open set for Castle Stuart
FROM THE SPORT.SCOTSMAN.COM WEBSITE
By MARTIN DEMPSTER

The Barclays Scottish Open looks set to be held at Castle Stuart, near Inverness, next year before moving to The Renaissance Club in East Lothian in 2012.

A decision regarding the event's future is believed to be imminent and it appears these two new courses are both going to get their chance.

Speaking in Singapore yesterday, Europe's winning-Ryder Cup captain Colin Montgomerie said: "Castle Stuart for one year and then the Renaissance Club is a good decision.

"But then with any national Open, it should probably move around the country. I've heard Castle Stuart is a great golf course, and it's in a great links area of Scotand.

"It's a long way north for everybody especially as the next week is the Open Championship at Royal St. Georges. but it will be two links golf courses back-to-back and that's what the players have wanted, so we look forward to it."

As reported in The Scotsman earlier this week, both courses were visited by European Tour officials recently after it was decided that alternate venues should be looked at.

Loch Lomond, which has staged the Scottish Open since 1996, is still under contract for next year's event, but it now appears it will be heading for the Highlands instead.

It is believed that thousands of hotel beds have been provisionally booked in the Inverness area and confirmation could come as early as Monday.

It still remains to be seen what will happen in 2013, when The Open is at Muirfield.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2010, 04:25:47 AM »

My gripe with the 18th at KB is it is so out of place with a links style course. I agree that a marker post on the last at CS would be a welcome addition.

Jon
Jon, 

I thought the flag pole next to the clubhouse was the line?

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Niall C

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2010, 07:44:16 AM »

Jon
Jon, 

I thought the flag pole next to the clubhouse was the line?

Brian

Brian

I think it is the line, the problem is that if you didn't know you would just assume it is a flagpole in the distance. Everything from the way the tee is orientated to the glimpse of the green suggests a more direct line for your drive whereas the reality is that you aim a good bit further to the left. A marker pole in the fairway could be seen for what it is ie. a directional aid. I was in the rough to the right in all three rounds, the first two because I hadn't figured the line, the third time out of hitting a poor tee shot whic was a shame because the approach shot from the fairway is perhaps one of the best shots on the course.

Niall

Brian Phillips

« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
It is described on the strokesaver..   ;)
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back