News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett Waters

Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:29:50 PM »
So I was in cold and windy north Florida this weekend playing in a tournament at the stadium course. On Sunday we rode by the Ponte Vedra Inn & Club. I was actually in awe of the place (from the road, anyway). Conditions looked as good, if not better, than TPC and they looked to have some amazing greens complexes.

What can anybody tell me about this place? From what I've seen, it looks like Bobby Weed did a touch-up in 2007-2008(?). I know there are 2 courses there so I'm not quite sure which I was seeing, but it looked impressive. Thoughts?

BCrosby

Re: Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
I am a fan of the Ocean Course. Some very good and unique holes.

Orginally designed by Herbert Strong, revised by RTJ in the 50's and revised again by Weed about 2005. Was to host a Ryder Cup in 1939 (?) when WWII intervened. I'm not clear what of the Ocean Course was Strong or RTJ when Weed made his changes, but I like what he did. Particularly to the back to back par 5's on the back nine.

Not to be missed if in JAX.

Bob

John_Conley

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »
Haven't played it, but I think it was Alice Dye's inspiration for the 17th at Stadium.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
I played the "second course" about five years ago and I would say, "Don't waste your money on that one."  Can't comment on the main course as I did not play it.  We stayed at the resort for two or three nights while visiting in the area and were very disappointed.  The entire place seemed run down, the only meal we had there was poor, and the staff mediocre.  I would call it a mid-range resort with high end prices -- again, keep in mind that this was about five years ago, so may be better today.  My guess at the time was that they were trying to live on their reputation from many, many years ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back