News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Izatt

One of the Saddest Sights in Golf
« on: October 14, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »

A sight that is sadder than golf carts and obtrusive paved paths.

...............  Sadder than people using the cheater line.

................   Sadder than template holes that have few features of the original.

.....................      Sadder than 7,500 yard courses.

..................      Sadder even than the level of discourse that has been reached on the Merion and other related threads.

............   the leaves are turning.  There's a nip in the air.  The golf season in the great white north is rapidly drawing to a close.  It may be pretty, but it is sad.  Thankfully there's Florida and the King's Putter to look forward to.

And, finally the season exits in a blazing of sunset.  It may be pretty, but it is sad.   :'(  Feel free to add your fall pictures to keep us warm over the winter.

Jim Eder

Re: One of the Saddest Sights in Golf
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
Great photos!!!

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
A major reason why I am never moving back north.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »
Bryan, you forgot one sad sight  - fairway bunkers off in the rough!

Where is this stunning course?

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:00:09 PM »

Bill,

Actually the pictures are from 3  different courses in the Toronto area.  Two of them are at my home course - The Club at Bond Head, and the other is called Wyndance. 

Jim Eder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 01:30:44 PM »
The bunkering looks spectacular. (Pic 2, 3 etc)  Is that your home course? Splendid!!!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:33:21 PM »
Look on the bright side.  Off season rates are approaching!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 01:36:15 PM »
Come on Bryan I thought you canooks were made of sterner stuff. Surely when winter comes you just put steel chains on the wheels of your buggy and dig out your yellow balls, no ?

Fantastic looking course BTW, lucky you.

Niall

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
Great stuff...but come on! This is the best time of year to play... :)
H.P.S.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

Jim,

Yes, it's my home course; all except pic #5.  The bunkering is quite eye-catching, if a little difficult to maintain.  The one course is quite visually spectacular with grand vistas and a lot of up and down on the course.

Niall,

We ARE made of sterner stuff.  If I made it through haggis, a little cold is scant barrier.  I'll be out there until the course closes or there's snow on the ground (which usually occur at the same time).  When are you going to find your way to this side of the pond so I can host you at my club?  Sadly, we have no haggis, and you probably won't confuse the courses with Glasgow Gailes, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Jim Eder

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »
Thanks Brian. Wonderful!!

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 02:38:50 PM »
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be a pic of JC in his Pink shirt .

Nice pics though. I for one cannot wait until next spring, it can't come soon enough .

Brad

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 02:47:46 PM »
For those of us in the industry in the northeast, there is no better sight........... ;D
time to relearn our children's names,catch up on projects on hold for 8 months,play golf on a december day, perhaps take a trip, and maybe even sleep in on a saturday!
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »

Jim,

Yes, it's my home course; all except pic #5.  The bunkering is quite eye-catching, if a little difficult to maintain.  The one course is quite visually spectacular with grand vistas and a lot of up and down on the course.

Niall,

We ARE made of sterner stuff.  If I made it through haggis, a little cold is scant barrier.  I'll be out there until the course closes or there's snow on the ground (which usually occur at the same time).  When are you going to find your way to this side of the pond so I can host you at my club?  Sadly, we have no haggis, and you probably won't confuse the courses with Glasgow Gailes, but I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

Bryan,

I'm absolutely certain I would enjoy it, and not having haggis would seem like a bonus. Unfortunately I'm still credit crunched and trying to work my way out of the financial blizzard so it could be a while yet before I make it over, but definitley in my thoughts.

Niall

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »
Thanks, Bryan. Ontario golf, in the Fall -- just lovely, in every way.  Except that I blink, and it's gone.

Peter

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »

Nice thread.It's football time in Tennesse.

JC Jones

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 03:37:12 PM »
When I saw the title I thought it was going to be a pic of JC in his Pink shirt .

Nice pics though. I for one cannot wait until next spring, it can't come soon enough .

Brad

The shirt is Watermelon, get it right.  You're already shut down?  I'm going to be close to you this weekend playing golf (apparently you aren't manly enough) and I'll be wearing lots of pink.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

Brad

The shirt is Watermelon, get it right.  You're already shut down?  I'm going to be close to you this weekend playing golf (apparently you aren't manly enough) and I'll be wearing lots of pink.

Brad & I will be at Pine Valley this weekend.  We have room for one more JC...
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 08:48:08 PM »
Actually the pictures are from 3  different courses in the Toronto area.  Two of them are at my home course - The Club at Bond Head, and the other is called Wyndance. 
A week ago I played both courses of Bond Head for the first time.  The south course is OK but the North course has some of the strangest, and most vertical, golf holes that I have ever seen.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 08:58:20 PM »
Bryan,

I agree with you.  Even though the weather is nice for maybe a few more weeks, the snow and cold are getting ready to pounce.  

Oh, and all you jerks down south, enjoy your golf this winter.   :)

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:33 PM »
i didnt think i could hate winter any more than i did...but i found out that was wrong last winter

my youngest is out of college in 10 years, i guess i have to suck it up til at least then >:( :'(
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hogan

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 10:08:48 PM »
Northern Minnesota a week ago.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 01:42:06 AM »
A week ago I played both courses of Bond Head for the first time.  The south course is OK but the North course has some of the strangest, and most vertical, golf holes that I have ever seen.

Wayne,

I'm sure you knew you weren't in Scarborough any more.   ;D

I assume you are referring to holes like 2, 6 and 17 on the North course with your vertical comment.  For those not familiar with the course, those holes go straight up hills that are 50 to 75 feet high.  I haven't often seen a course designed to take you directly up such large elevation changes.  It leads a lot of blind shots.  Anyway, it may be strange (in the sense of unusual), but it appeals to me.  And it has some of the toughest greens and surrounds you are likely to find.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 03:50:37 AM »
Thanks, Bryan. Ontario golf, in the Fall -- just lovely, in every way.  Except that I blink, and it's gone.

Peter

Yup, a blink and it turns into 3*C, 20 KM winds and this white stuff.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back