News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

This updated course profile can be read in conjunction with Scott Coan's recent post soliciting interest for the 2012 GolfClubAtlas.com Boomerang to be played at Paraparaumu Beach in March 2012. For people from North America who would be traveling a distance for this event, throw in four days of golf at Paraparaumu,  add in Cape Kidnappers, Kauri Cliffs, Titirangi, Wairakei, Kataia, and presto, you have a wonderful driving tour of the North Island. Cap it off with some of New Zealand's famous white wines, Pinot Noirs from Felton Road and a hike through the Milford Sound  :o on the South Island and that's a 'bucket list' trip.

Until recent, Paraparaumu was a staple on the GOLF Magazine world top 100 list. It still should be and I doubt that many of the panelists are fully aware of the extent of the work that has been accomplished here in the past seven years. Leo Barber and crew have done a FANTASTIC job as highlighted by the club photographs that they kindly let me use in updating the GolfClubAtlas.com profile. These stunning club photos capture the ideal rumpled land over which the game is played at Paraparaumu. In addition, they also highlight the wonderful Alex Russell green complexes, some of the best of which don't have any bunkers.

Russell's resume glitters with his fingerprints all over some of the best courses in this part of the world: Yarra Yarra, the underrated Karrinyup, both courses at Royal Melbourne (especially the East which he designed solo), and here at Paraparaumu Beach. As Paraparaumu is an outpost course, sometimes it is hard to gauge it relative to other world class courses. Yet, it has many of the best attributes of this web site's favorites. For instance, similar to Royal Hague, the sandy land was so good that the architect didn't feel compelled to layer feature upon man-made feature over it. Both courses have a combined sixty bunkers between them. Similar to Kingston Heath and Merion, the architect squeezed every inch of character out of the ~120 acres. Similar to Prairie Dunes, the greens are none too big and quickly identify who can control the flight of his ball on windy days. Yes, there are no ocean views or coastal holes or lighthouses ala Turnberry. Conversely, Turnberry's smoother fairways aren't near a match to Paraparaumu's crumpled ones and who would counter that Turnberry's green complexes are better?

Bigger, glossier courses may be built but few will ever be able to compete with Paraparaumu Beach, so good was both the land and Russell's work. Anyone attending the GolfClubAtlas March 2012 Boomerang will be able to attest to that first hand!

Cheers,

John Sabino

Re: Paraparaumu Beach profile is posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »
Ran - A fantastic update/profile as usual. I fully agree with you that given the quality of the design at Paraparaumu, the course should still rank in the top 100. The artful (non) use of bunkering is a lesson in how to subtlety design a course. Holes like the quirky eighth reminded me of some of the best that a course like Cruden Bay has to offer: short strategic holes with blind elements. The punchbowl 11th green is also a great one. I think the other thing Russell did exceedingly well at Paraparaumu was to route the holes through the dunes so that there is continual change in direction, a key consideration when the wind is up.

Two additional benefits of Paraparaumu is that it has one of the cheapest greens fees among top courses and it is next to one of the world's great cities: Wellington.

John

P.S. - Next time you go to NZ be sure to visit Queenstown - Jack's Point is out of this world.
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Chris Buie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 11:36:11 AM »
That photograph of the 6th hole has got to be one of my all time favorite golf images.  Really remarkable.  I haven't had the pleasure of visiting New Zealand yet but the various images I see of it makes me question whether any other country could exceed it in beauty. 
The terrain of the course appears to be nothing short of extraordinary.  I should imagine playing that course would be a golfing adventure on a level I'm not sure I'm familiar with.

George Freeman

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 11:44:37 AM »
The course looks absolutely phenomenal.  Thanks for the write-up Ran.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:42:08 AM »
WOW!

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
Thanks for notice of the update Ran. It's really pleasing to see the course improve.
PB is such fun, and all that ground movement is so alluring.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Rob Rigg

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:20:41 AM »
A brilliant review - those photos are amazing.

A good friend from NZ goes home every year and spend a ton of time at Papa - I can see why - it looks like a really fun track - so PURE.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
Ran, great profile, I really would love to get down to the Boomerang next year.   That is such wonderful terrain, and the turf looks as keen as Hoylake!

But one question - is that a gravel walking or cart path out in front of that incredible second green?

If so, surely it could be relocated.   Or is it so far in front of the green that it's not a problem in playing the hole?

Scott Coan

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
Bill, I can confirm that the path you mention has thankfully been moved with some excellent work from Leo and his staff.
The bit in the foreground remains but the section that pops up right in front of the green has been moved to follow
the valley in front of the huge bunker.

That small outcropping of trees you see in the middle of the picture that would catch any pulled tee shot off #3 has also
suffered the wrath of the chainsaw.  I can only hope that the ugly line of pines to the right of 11 is next in line and continually
pray for a lightning strike to someday take out the silly pine grove the Club maintains in the middle of the course.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back