News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Randy Thompson

The USGA is having the world cup amarature in Buenos Aires during the next two weeks at Olivos and Buenos Aires Golf and just thought I check to see if anybody was going or playing. Cheers}1

Dale Jackson

Re: Anybody going to be in Buenos Aires next week for the world cup am.?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:07:35 AM »
The USGA is having the world cup amarature in Buenos Aires during the next two weeks at Olivos and Buenos Aires Golf and just thought I check to see if anybody was going or playing. Cheers}1

The USGA is having the World Cup Amateur in Buenos Aires?  Boy that must be news to the other 200 odd national golf associations in the world, especially the 54 countries that are participating in the event.  Believe me there is more to this than just the USGA!
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Randy Thompson

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
Dale,
Your correct on what your saying, no offense inntended, the USGA is adminstrating the event and therefore I labeled accordingly.
Randy

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:29:05 PM »
The World Amateur Team Championships (WATC) were founded in 1958. They are competitions that take place every two years. They are organized by the International Golf Federation (IGF) and the national federations of golf from the host nation in every edition.

No mention of the USGA organising the event.
Cave Nil Vino

Dale Jackson

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »
Dale,
Your correct on what your saying, no offense inntended, the USGA is adminstrating the event and therefore I labeled accordingly.
Randy

And certainly no offence taken!  But to be completely accurate here is a quote from the World Amateur Championship web site (http://www.worldamateur2010.org):

"The Championships are played every two years under the aegis of the International Golf Federation (IGF) working in close alliance with the governing bodies of the host countries, the IGF has presence in over 120 countries and is recognized by the International Olympic Committee as the main authority of world golf and responsible for the return of golf at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, after an absence of 112 years."

The championship was originally called the Eisenhower Trophy, because President Eisenhower donated it, and, I believe, the USGA played a key role in starting the championship.  The first competition was in 1958 on the Old Course.

In any event, it is one of the great amateur competitions in the world and, like so much of amateur golf, sadly flies under the average golfer's radar screen.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
The World Amateur Team Championships (WATC) were founded in 1958. They are competitions that take place every two years. They are organized by the International Golf Federation (IGF) and the national federations of golf from the host nation in every edition.

No mention of the USGA organising the event.

The IGF is an offspring of the USGA, and still lives at home, I believe. Their address is in Far Hills, NJ and their email address is igfinfo@usga.org

The officers are mostly USGA or R&A with a few others mixed in.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »
All I can add is that the preparation for the tournament has been just as intensive as when the world cup was held at Buenos Aires Golf in the year 2000. They have been preparing the course for two years and rebuilt all the bunkers and added herringbone drainage to all and have stopped the erosion of the steep bunker faces as a result and added new sand. We also eliminated and eradicated all the poa in the greens and are 100% bent now and rolling like pool tables. USGA officials have made several trips to make sure the event reaches it potential and players expectations.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 11:27:06 PM »
Sadly I am not.
However a good golfing buddy of mine is over there to watch his grand-daughter, Alison Whittaker, playing for Australia.
That's Macqueen living vicariously yet again.

Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
All I can add is that the preparation for the tournament has been just as intensive as when the world cup was held at Buenos Aires Golf in the year 2000. They have been preparing the course for two years and rebuilt all the bunkers and added herringbone drainage to all and have stopped the erosion of the steep bunker faces as a result and added new sand. We also eliminated and eradicated all the poa in the greens and are 100% bent now and rolling like pool tables. USGA officials have made several trips to make sure the event reaches it potential and players expectations.

Randy:
Did they also do any work at Olivos?  Did you hear any reactions from the players or officials about either course? 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »
Carl,
Not sure, will be there on Sunday, I heard Olivos was in very good shape though. I doubt they did what they really need to do, lose a few trees! Will talk to some players and officials and get there reactions and get back to you!
Randy

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back