News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Lovito

18th at Plainfied - Restoration
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:29:29 PM »
The last major restoration project of the Plainfield master plan will be completed this fall.  The pond protecting the dogleg on the 18th fairway will be removed and replaced by bunkers in the hill of the dogleg.  A handfull of trees on the left side just beyond the pond will be removed as well.

I believe this will improve the hole.  Currently, if you hit your tee shot into the pond, it is basically a double penalty as you can not reach the green from the drop are due to the close proximity of the trees.

Ben Sims

Re: 18th at Plainfied - Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 06:41:03 PM »
Just this afternoon,the pond was drained and the area roped off.  There's no doubt that it will improve the hole.  By turning that area into bunkers, you effectively make it a hazard worth avoiding whilst not overly penalizing a poor shot. 

My caddy mentioned a few of the trees in the left portion of the dogleg being removed and the tee extended upwards--towards the ladies tee--in hopes for a drama filled short par-4 for the Barclays next year.  Members in the grill also spoke of this.  Seems like a it could be cool to play that hole anywhere from 330-410 yards for that tourney.

On an additional note, I was very impressed with the greens--and more specifically their positioning.  I wish more archies had the huevos to build holes like 6, 8, and 11. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
John,

That's a tough hole to fix.

As you know, it's not the original 18th hole and that presents a little dilema in terms of the perception that really good courses should have good to great finishing holes.

Has there ever been any consideration to moving the 18th green back, near the 10th tee, near the clubhouse/parking lot side ?

John_Lovito

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
Pat,

There has not been any mention of moving the green back.

I admit it is not the greatest closing hole.  That said, while the tee shot is awkward, the changes should help some.  Also, I have always liked the second shot to the green..uphill and often off an uneven lie.  It is also a very intersting green with the false front and many contours.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
I'm just amazed that in supposedly-regulation-happy NJ they were able to drain a pond. What's up with that Mr. Mucci. ;D  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »

I'm just amazed that in supposedly-regulation-happy NJ they were able to drain a pond. What's up with that Mr. Mucci. ;D  ;)

Jim,

They're looking for bodies  ;D

John,

Moving the green back, while retaining its configuration and surrounds, would allow for some straightening of the hole, making it less of a right angle dogleg and a better hole.

Just a thought

Ed Oden

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:45:42 PM »
OK, this is probably a stupid idea (no need to reply with confirmation of that fact), but I'll go ahead and toss it out anyway.  Why not remove all or almost all of the trees between 18 and 10 and allow golfers to at least entertain the idea of going for the green?  As the crow flies, it's only 300 yards from the back tee to the middle of the green, albeit uphill.  Plainfield has done a marvelous job of tree removal throughout the course.  Taking down the thicket of woods along the left side of #18 would seem to be consistent with the approach taken elsewhere.  And it would add a risk/reward component that would be great for both tournament and member play.

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
OK, this is probably a stupid idea (no need to reply with confirmation of that fact), but I'll go ahead and toss it out anyway.  Why not remove all or almost all of the trees between 18 and 10 and allow golfers to at least entertain the idea of going for the green?  As the crow flies, it's only 300 yards from the back tee to the middle of the green, albeit uphill.  Plainfield has done a marvelous job of tree removal throughout the course.  Taking down the thicket of woods along the left side of #18 would seem to be consistent with the approach taken elsewhere.  And it would add a risk/reward component that would be great for both tournament and member play.

Ed,

My caddy was talking today about how a few pros have been by the club to see the course before next year's tourney and a few of them drove the green even with the trees.  After looking at it, I think the trees deter the mere mortals from trying to drive the green, but not the tour guys.   

I like the idea of extending the tee forward a ways to make that shot more agreeable, but the green is really solid as is, I'd hate for Gil to move it any.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back