News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Bill_McBride

Re: Buda. The Rules of Engagement.
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
My handicap is 6 - i think the CONGU number is around 5.6

;)

Sean_A

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
I was under the impression i am playing at Clyne but am not sure. I would like to be there for any activities so i am in for lunch if that is physically possible

I do not go all that way to layup my friends

Wardo

Wardo

Oh vey!  You are in at Clyne.  Be there or be square.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Please post your handicap so we can update the list below. Thanks!!!

HANDICAPS:

TEAM USA
The Yank Arble 7.9 CONGU
Drinkin Joe Bueler 7.4 USGA Index
Craig Disher  14.2 USGA INDEX
Sweet Lou Duran 6-8 Hndcp Est.
John Tucky Mayhugh  8.8 USGA Index
Ace McBride 13.3 USGA Index
Ward Peyronnin 5.0 USGA Index
Eric Smith 11.2 USGA Index
Jason Topp 4.6 USGA Index
Whitty Whitaker  6.3 USGA Index

TEAM GB&I
James Boon  5.6 CONGU
Conrad Gamble
The African Animal Gawith 5.6 CONGU
Robin Hiseman 10 CONGU
Andy Levett
Peter Mallalieu
Spangles Muldoon
Mark Pearce  12.3 CONGU
Lorne Smith
Ben Stephens  5.3 CONGU
Ally McIntosh
Richard Muldoon 7.7 CONGU
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

ward peyronnin

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2010, 09:42:57 PM »
mike

Let me know if i should switch to a twin at The Atlantic Hotel

Thx YarbYankel

"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 05:14:05 PM »
Sorry to miss the fun, but I've taken my Captains role very seriously and been out practicing  at western and northern outposts of GB&I. I'm now very depressed at the thought of having to play off my official handicap of 13. 

I’ll speak to Sean and Mike in the next 24 hrs and a decision will be announced.

Some thoughts.

Seems like there is an appetite for some tinkering with the format and Chapman finds favour with many?  However radical change is not called for.

Singles on Sunday AM? We can decide at lunch if it’s to be 4BBB or foursomes?

Handicaps. There’s’ been little discussion of how each format should be played.

Suggestions.

Singles      Straight up?
Foursomes   3/8?
4BBB              ¾?
Chapman          3/6 or ½?   (If adopted?)

Finally the perennial issue of two great golfing nations divided by uncommon handicapping systems.  The simplest method might be to try for this BUDA, (without necessarily setting a precedent) giving all USGA index’s an extra stroke?  (Let's give the guys who make the effort a fighting chance?).

So anyone with thoughts please air them now.

Looking forward to it immensely.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2010, 05:55:11 PM »
Tony - you suggested during one of our calls that we might want to consider using Sunningdale rules as regards handicaps. What happened to that idea!

I don't really understand the concept of reducing a blokes handicap just because he is playing in a fourball. I think all the handicaps should be played at 100%.

Also, please keep in mind that a USGA index is not the same as a CONGU number. The comparative number from the USGA system is the "home course handicap" that is generated from the index. For example, my 6.3 index usually yields me 7 shots on a course of average difficulty and 8 on those that are more difficult. A 13.3 index will yield 16-18 shots depending on the difficulty of the course.

I'm sure we will sort this out in due course.   
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »
mike

Let me know if i should switch to a twin at The Atlantic Hotel

Thx YarbYankel

Ward, don't worry about the twin room. I'll figure something out.

Mike

Sean_A

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2010, 06:12:38 PM »
Tony - you suggested during one of our calls that we might want to consider using Sunningdale rules as regards handicaps. What happened to that idea!

I don't really understand the concept of reducing a blokes handicap just because he is playing in a fourball. I think all the handicaps should be played at 100%.

Also, please keep in mind that a USGA index is not the same as a CONGU number. The comparative number from the USGA system is the "home course handicap" that is generated from the index. For example, my 6.3 index usually yields me 7 shots on a course of average difficulty and 8 on those that are more difficult. A 13.3 index will yield 16-18 shots depending on the difficulty of the course.

I'm sure we will sort this out in due course.   

Whitty

You just have to trust the experts when it comes to handicap allowance. This basically means what Tony said except for 4ball betterball which is in dispute.  All other forms of team golf have considerably less than full allowance/difference throughout the world. 

I am perosnally very suspect of "translating" handicap numbers across the system as the two are so different.  That is why I asked someone to figure out my US cap with the numbers given. I bet it is higher in the US than GB because of inconsistency.  I don't believe the systems can convert to each other well at all by using formulas.  IMO, Tony's solution is likely the best, but I sure do like the idea of Sunningdale Rules as I explained them to you in an email.  Tony's version doesn't make any sense to me. 

Ciao

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2010, 06:19:27 PM »

I'm off to bed, so you two can battle it out.

Sean's rules for Sunningdale are correct.

Both players start off playing straight matchplay. If one gets 2 shots down, he gets a shot on every hole until he's only one down.

It's beautifully simple, but I hesitate to throw yet another idea into the mix. Perhaps next time?

Whitty are you and Ward 18 or 36 on Monday at Southerndown?

Have a nice day and Ciao.

Eric Smith

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »
I'm waiting in line at Heathrow immigration, and checked the weather for Porthcawl on the phone here...goodness gracious it looks to be sunny every single day of the week!  It's as if we're playing this thing in Florida in February. :)

Ben Stephens

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2010, 03:18:56 AM »
I'm waiting in line at Heathrow immigration, and checked the weather for Porthcawl on the phone here...goodness gracious it looks to be sunny every single day of the week!  It's as if we're playing this thing in Florida in February. :)

Eric

Thats Wales for all of us! - it rains a lot during the spring and summer - come Autumn is nice and sunny :)

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:50:31 AM by Ben Stephens »

Sean_A

« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2010, 03:34:25 AM »
Well Eric, it looks like you and Tucky have a proper day for one of my all-time favourite courses - Kington.  It is meant to be mostly sunny with what should be good visibility and in a 20mph wind gusting to 40ish.  I wish I could be there, but please do report back when time allows.  

It looks like the Dealies are gonna get a bit of rough today!  Wind near 30mph, but sunny thankfully. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 03:36:17 AM by Sean Arble »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2010, 05:11:52 AM »
Conrad Gamble's CONGU handicap is 14.5. 

As those who recall his 75 net 60 at Lundin Links may remember.

Almost as bad as Chappers.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andy Levett

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:43 AM »
Bit late to this, sorry. I'm 12.9 CONGU. That means I consistently shoot between the high seventies and low hundreds. ;)
Not very keen on Chapman but will, of course, play and enjoy whatever format. Why? Apart from reasons on page one, there's enough going on on an unfamiliar and stimulating course with unfamiliar and stimulating playing companions without having to think about which ball to walk to and whether to hit it or not. If the club's format of the day on what for many of us will be our second and last rounds on one of the world's great golf courses is to play all the shots why not play all the shots?

Eric Smith

« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2010, 10:03:07 AM »
Well Eric, it looks like you and Tucky have a proper day for one of my all-time favourite courses - Kington.  It is meant to be mostly sunny with what should be good visibility and in a 20mph wind gusting to 40ish.  I wish I could be there, but please do report back when time allows.  

It looks like the Dealies are gonna get a bit of rough today!  Wind near 30mph, but sunny thankfully. 

Ciao

Tucky and Jason are no doubt getting their fill of Kington's offerings right now.  I however have been soaking myself in Sawyers Arms Paddington for the past 3 hours and have just boarded the train to Swansea and then on to Tenby for an overnight in their dormie.

London- I'll be back!

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2010, 08:17:02 AM »
The list of Pennard Sunday Lunch (no jacket & tie required - its a proper club)

Drinkin' Joe
Ace
Tucky
Spangles
Other Muldoon
Yank
Boony
Doc
Conrad
Mark
Whitty
Ben
Sweet Lou
Jason
Craig Disher

It would be helpful if folks let me know either way by next Thursday night.

Ciao

15 Are booked in for Sunday lunch as the roll in of the course.  Dining is from 12-2 and the cost is £10.  I think we shall keep it to tables of four so the bills are easy to sort out per table (pay when eating-not included with golf) and other diners can be accomodated. 

Ciao 

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2010, 05:56:46 PM »
Jason,

True links weather?  There's nae wind, mon. 

;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »
Well........who won??!!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:29 PM »
Eric I'm too tired to put anything meaningful down, except to say thanks to Sean for organising my favourite Golf event of the year.

Good to meet you, Jason, Lou, Ben, James and Richard :-  you’re all now officially locked in to Buda.

I think this sums it up

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 03:28:07 AM by Tony_Muldoon »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
Well........who won??!!
Pennard.

And the game of golf.

And the spirit of BUDA.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back