News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

iPad & International Golf Publications
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:07:53 AM »
Does anyone on this forum own an Apple iPad and if so have you been able to get International golf magazines on it?

The reason I ask is there is an article about Lost Farm coming out in the Australian Golf Digest, but I don't obviously have a subscription to this magazine.  It would be very slick if you could get subscriptions around the World for all these magazines on an iPad.

Just curious.

Bill_McBride

Re: iPad & International Golf Publications
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 11:14:41 AM »
I bought one a month ago after rave reviews from Michael Whitaker.   ;)

So far I am highly impressed with the Apple styling interface, and basic package.  The add on apps are more expensive than the iPhone.  The display quality is incredible, particularly video.

Internet access is really good.  Have you tried going online to try to download the magazine(s) you are looking for?

Magazines such as Time, Newsweek and Fortune are very expensive, not sure about others.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
I haven't bought one yet, but I think I will after the next update they do.  I was curious how tough it was to get the International publications onto the iPad.

Thanks for the report though.  I think I will have to pull the trigger soon on that.

Bill Boonn

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
I haven't tried Australian Golf Digest yet, but the iPad version of Global Golf Post and PGA Magazine (if you have access) are fantastic.  They're both web-based but optimized for reading on the iPad (ie: "swipe" to turn the page, pinch zoom, etc).

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iTouch) do not run Flash. If the magazine uses Flash in any way you will not be able to view it.

LOVE my iPad. Yes, you must pay for a good many magazine subscriptions, but not more than one would pay for a print subscription... and, the content is much better. IMHO this is THE future for the magazine business.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
I haven't tried Australian Golf Digest yet, but the iPad version of Global Golf Post and PGA Magazine (if you have access) are fantastic.  They're both web-based but optimized for reading on the iPad (ie: "swipe" to turn the page, pinch zoom, etc).

Agree on the Global Golf Post. Very easy to navigate and read.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »

Agree on the Global Golf Post. Very easy to navigate and read.

Is that an app or a web page?  I guess the latter..  What's the link?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
Bill, They have these things called search engines...you can type "global golf post" in and get the link.

Ron M.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
And the iPad works pretty well to display photo albums of golf courses.   ;D

But I've learned I should have bought the 64 GB model instead of the 32.  I've uploaded about 90 of my albums now (about 13k photos) and I've chewed up a little over 1/2 of the RAM.   :o
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Boonn

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Again, not international, but these are also optimized for the iPad:

Golf Course Industry:
http://golfcourseindustry.texterity.com/golfcourseindustry/

Golf World Monday (subscription required)
http://www.golfworldmonday.com/golfworldmonday/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 03:32:55 PM »

Apple products (iPad, iPhone, iTouch) do not run Flash. If the magazine uses Flash in any way you will not be able to view it.

This flash restriction by APPL is sort of changing:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idCNN0918020420100909?rpc=44

Adobe shares up 12% earlier today.   :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 03:38:26 PM »
Bill, They have these things called search engines...you can type "global golf post" in and get the link.

Ron M.

Thanks, you da man!

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 03:53:06 PM »
For those of you who subscribe to the weekly GolfWorld (US) magazine, be sure to sign up for the preview edition they send out via e-mail on Mon/Tues of each week. It is usually 24 viewable pages, including 6 pages of ads, and it summarizes the golf action over the weekend just ended. It is very well done.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back