News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Bert

Hole in One!!!!!
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:07:27 PM »
... On a 75 yard hole at a par 3 course.  :'(

It is the longest hot I have ever holed other than the mighty 160 yd 7-iron shot that is commemorated with a plaque (so I am told) at the 9th at Holston Hills.

My first one, I know it is not official, but I think it puts me in fine company with Mr. Huckaby.  At least the drinks were cheap. $3 for two Icee's for the kids.

Probably the coolest thing about it was that my 6 yr old made a 3 on the same hole. That memory should last us a good number of years.

Too bad I wasn't keeping score all round so I don't even have an official card of my unofficial accomplishment.

To make things even better, I work at Cigna and my hole in one ball has an Aetna logo on it!   :o

Jeff Fortson

Re: Hole in One!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »
Congrats!

It's like a floodgate.  Don't be too shocked if you bag another hole-in-one soon.

JF
#nowhitebelt

Josh Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »
Congratulations.  A great high.  Roll in like a putt, one hop, two hop, slam dunk, back up?  Enquiring minds want to know.  I am guessing the green was the size of a small bedroom given the length of the hole.  

Josh

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 01:19:50 PM »
"Tears in his eyes I guess......he's a Cinderella story.......it's in the hole!!! it's in the hole!!!"

Congrats Tim!

Matthew Rose

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 01:25:21 PM »
Congrats!

It's like a floodgate.  Don't be too shocked if you bag another hole-in-one soon.

Yep, they often come in twos.

My second one was nine months after the first one. 15 years after #2, I'm still workin' on #3 :)

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Thomas Patterson

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
Congratulations!!  My Dad just hit his first one ever, and I've never had one.  That has to be a great feeling! 

Cheers!!

Tim Bert

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Thanks guys. The biggest emotion I experience was probably embarrassment because we were playing with a other woman and her daughter and the two of them got so excited like it was a big deal and I was already thinking about telling people "I had a hole in one on a 75 yard hole."

It was a very well struck three quarter lob wedge. Right at the hole from the time it left the club. Landed maybe 5 or 6 feet short bounced once and rolled straight in. It looked like it was going in from the minute it hit the green. The scorecard actually says 98 so I might be short-changing myself a little. We will call it 85 yards.

My dilemma is that I was using an old set of Ping Zings because my wife had my clubs in the other car. From time to time I break out the Zings because they still have the glory of my best round ever - 76, years ago. With no more golf for two weeks and then four days of golf at Kingsley, I will let the gallery decide... Do I take the Zings??
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:26:20 PM by Tim Bert »

Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »
I will let the gallery decide... Do I take the Zings??

Depends. If the lie angle is the same as what you are used to playing, then you should be fine.  I took the Eye 2's (2 deg flat) to Nebrasky and ended up digging the toe into the ground on each and every iron shot -- pushing everything out to the right.  My Mizunos were fitted to me at 2 deg. upright, so that was too much of a difference to overcome.

Career round 76 years ago?  Man you age well Gramps! ;)

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
They are both black dot pings... Zings vs G2s.  Don't know if dot determines lie angle but nothing else special about either set. The Zings are WAY more forgiving even though they never feel good when you hit them. Probably what I need righ now given the state of my game. Biggest downfall of the Zings is I tend to chunk the wedges, which ironically wasn't a problem today!

By the way, I added a comma to my 76 comment. Grammar isn't entirely right but it reads a little better now than it did before!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »
Do I take the Zings??

You're lefthanded so does it really make any difference?

Congrats on joining the hole-in-one club - as an associate member.

The Little Course?  Which hole?

Also, can't wait to see the placque at Holston Hills on Wednesday.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Bert

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
Little Course - 9th hole. A perfect way to end a round. Usually I hit a second shot from the tee with a putter on that hole because there are some fun undulations leading up to the green but it is very enticing for the ground game. I didn't bother with the putter today.

Tim Bert

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:01:14 PM »
Here is the pitch shot in all it's glory.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
Well done, my friend!

I'll take an iceeeeeee as well...  ;D
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 08:57:00 PM »
 8) Congrats tim.. Welcome to the err.. club, maybe only the double digit hole-in-one club.. now that you own that hole, you need to get with the big boys.. ::)

certainly you know the ping dots do mean something, i'd suggest leaving them home

yes i have one in 49 years of playing.. 9/26/96, 193 yds 3 iron ... oh, and by the way.. Ms Sheila has 5 in last 10 years!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tim Bert

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:18 PM »
Hey Steve - I know the black dots mean something, I just assumed that they meant the same thing for the Zings that they mean for the G2s since I was fitted both times.  Why the suggestion to leave them home?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »

Congrats Tim.It counts.I hold out from 127 yesterday....for par.

Anthony

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 09:57:42 PM »
Hey Steve - I know the black dots mean something, I just assumed that they meant the same thing for the Zings that they mean for the G2s since I was fitted both times.  Why the suggestion to leave them home?

Tim,  very simple.. they're ugly... no really, my initial thought was that you'd changed out the Zings for some reason to the G2s, though they now seem to hold a high place in your game experience, whether by accident/circumstance.. so, 1 day at TKC might be ok, pure spirit at work.. but I'm thinking 4 days at TKC is another thing, you're looking at making shots and feel to carry the day... you were negative on the Zing feel.

enjoy a swig for me at the 18th tee!
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tim Bert

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 10:16:46 PM »

Tim,  very simple.. they're ugly... no really, my initial thought was that you'd changed out the Zings for some reason to the G2s, though they now seem to hold a high place in your game experience, whether by accident/circumstance.. so, 1 day at TKC might be ok, pure spirit at work.. but I'm thinking 4 days at TKC is another thing, you're looking at making shots and feel to carry the day... you were negative on the Zing feel.

enjoy a swig for me at the 18th tee!

All sound advice.  Which will probably get ignored!   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back