News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

"Funnel" Holes
« on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »
I enjoy holes where the drive is into a wide expanse but the approach transitions into a narrower, tree lined corridor.  Exhibit A would be the 14th at Cypress Point Club and others would include the 15th at Kingsley Club and the lesser known 7th at Doak's Quail Crossing. 

Do you like such holes and why? 
Other examples?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bill_McBride

Re: "Funnel" Holes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »
Could that be a subset of the Macdonald template hole, the "Bottle" hole?

If so, #8 at NGLA is certainly a premier example.  There's it's bunkers rather than trees that shrink the target as you get closer to the green, but it's the same principle.

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
I like them because I am most wayward with my driver and increasingly more accurate the shorter the iron in my hand.  I was going to point out #15 at Kingsley when I read your first sentence but see you have also noted it.

I would not limit, however, these types of holes to those that are tree-lined.  I think with proper bunkering (or other hazards), the feeling of narrowing can also be accomplished.  I would point to #6 at Seminole and #18 at Harbour Town as examples I have recently played.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Fred Yanni

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:39:12 AM »
The 15th at PV comes to mind - I always describe the hole as if one is looking through a telescope backwards.

Its a great 3 shotter and the landing area for each shot becomes more and more narrow - great great golf hole.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »
The 14th at Stonehouse comes to mind as a wretched example.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
5 at Bandon Dunes I like a lot.....

Mike Wagner

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
# 10 @ Chambers Bay - great hole.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
There's one at Bandon trails- don't know the number- uphill par four- maybe 11?
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
Huntingdon Valley features of few of these, most noteworthy being the 6th and 7th.

I sometimes wonder if the funneling affect makes the hole a bit "easier" to read as it focuses the eye of the golfer on to the target.

It's not so much a preference but I wonder if the exact opposite (having a tee shot come out of a funnel toward a green in a wide expanse) would have a bit more of a psychological affect on the golfer, especially as it pertains to hitting the approach shot on the necessary line. In the two above referenced holes, aiming for the correct part of the green is quite important to nestling the ball in a good position to make a putt. The "frame" of the funnel tends to help the golfer after subsequent plays.

Sean Eidson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 05:24:02 PM »
As a higher (16) handicapper, I'll tell you that I HATE these holes.  They're totally stuck in my head and I dread them for the entire round.

The 5th hole at Bandon (pre-gorse removal) was a total kick in the junk for me, especially with any wind.  Who wants to hit driver, wedge, wedge?

The other hole many here have played that kills me is 16 at Ballyneal.  A dreadful pain to try and go through that corridor.

I play sometimes at Washington Golf &CC, a Donald Ross course in Arlington, VA.  The 15th there is a par 5, about 420 yards, but it's a hard dogleg left, with a creek down the left and crossing 150 out.  From there, it's a blind shot up a 30 foot hill through a 25 foot gap in the trees.  My typical play is right with a three wood, 50 yard layup to the creek and then hit & pray.  I think I've made a par once in about 20 rounds.  Usually, it's a 7. 

I think these holes are extremely penal and not any fun at all. 

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
#11 at Arcadia Bluffs is a funnel created by mounds... not trees.  Like playing in the Grand Canyon!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back