News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Has the PGA screwed up the Open rotation?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
Its been rumoured for several years that the R&A were looking to move away from playing the Open at St Andrews (I believe the correct title might be The Open Championship and as the first such Open comp I think it has the right to be called that  ;)) every 5 years in any case. Bear in mind playing there every 5 years was a relatively recent innovation.

Niall

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 12:29:12 PM »
Niall,

I think that it is a wonderful move...it seems that the RandA has found it necessary to update the course for each playing of the British Open championship, bringing it closer and close to the cookie-cutter image (trim around the edges, less wildness) we saw this year.  In your opinion, what three courses should be added to the rotation and what one course should be removed?

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »
Am I wrong in thinking that most of the 'Top Ranked' courses do not WANT to host a PGA/US Open event. Wouldn't that put too much pressure on those courses both to modify the course and to overuse the site?

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
I chuckle when people putdown the PGA Championship as being some sort of "after thought" for the majors. The leadership has really made the championship sites better than what they were like many years ago.

The fields are good and often time the play has been first rate stuff.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »
I dont think that the open will be held at st andrews in 2015. The 150th open championship will be held in 2022 I think an my guess is that they will wait untill 2017
The R & A have announced the venues up to 2015 and St Andrews is the choice. The Open championship has been held on the Old course since the war 1946-1955-1957-1960-1964-1970-1978-1984-1990-1995-2000-2005-2010. With 9 courses on the current rota, its been going to each course once in 10 years other than St Andrews where it gets it every five.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 09:58:01 AM »
Sully, I absolutely believe Mike Davis.  He is honest, forthright, and answers questions directly.  The same goes for Kerry Haigh, who Pete Dye called the best in the business.  I talk with Mike frequently, and see firsthand that he walks the walk after he talks the talk.  He single-handedly put the excitement back in the U.S. Open with his set-up.

Yes, Jim, I believe him.  When Kerry Haigh spoke to me, he independently confirmed everything as well.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back