News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

What are the successful clubs that do not...
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:24:01 AM »
...have well regarded or rated courses here on GCA.

Is it possible today to build a brand new course and have it very busy and successful and not be a good design or average land? Or for a private course, to quickly sell memberships to get the club running above break even?

Barnbougle Dunes over here, Bandon over there, Whistling Straits and of course the private Sand Hills and Ballyneal will get there soon... I dont know many new private courses in the States or GB&I. Is Prairie Club busy?

what do the alternatives look like - "signature" courses from tour players ?  Dismal River?

Can this be down without real estate development integral to it's existence?
@theflatsticker

V. Kmetz

Re: What are the successful clubs that do not...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:02 AM »
A great question...

In the private world, it seems like it is Sebonack or nothing.  Or Liberty, or Bayonne. The enormous cost and personal willpower needed for land acquisition, permitting, professional study, design, construction etc has deflected the traditional, affluent, bourgeoise class who have made or make the equivalent of a 300K - 900K from congealing in any great number around the traditional "private equity country club" from scratch.

It is either the Masters of the Universe creating uber-resourced perfections or it is not. 

No longer are courses created by country club founders from the normal professional classes of merchants, doctors and lawyers that will perpetuate through their children and become the future family country club.  This was the dominant aesthetic, post WW II.  Suburban land was still in play and costs were such that a prospectus for your own enclave was within the means of a greater number of merely "successful" people.

Now, those people play Centennial, River Oaks, Oxford Greens, etc (here in WCT). Or join existing clubs of whatever character they can afford.  The experiences such places give and the money they charge is often so ridiculously incongruent...as to make me think they will go to seed within my lifetime. 

cheers

vk

But it's important to note than many suspect efforts are
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:31:50 AM »
Brett - I think if you talk about 'TODAY' then is probably a big NO in this economy. I think there are going to be very few new golf courses in the western world for the next 10 years. There is an over supply and anyone wanting one will buy one thats up for sale for about half what a new one might cost. If this question was 3 years ago I would say yes new golf courses can be successfull, but it is a strict formula you need to follow and many of the likes on this site are exactly what not to do. I don't know if things can be successfull with bad design but location plays a big part in a busy golf course so if its cheap enough you can make money. There is no reason why lesser regarded architects can't produce great golf courses.
The UK is different to the rest of the world we dont have real estate on our courses, I have a project in Bulgaria that one is totally reliant on real estate.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Rob Miller

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 04:57:47 AM »
Anything in China or Vietnam. 

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 05:32:01 AM »
They are buillding courses as fast as they can over here in Korea.  The land here is very hard to get and most courses are mountain courses.  I mean tiered holes up and down the side of a mountain.  So you can imagine the quality is not the best but most of the courses are packed over here.  Golf is still really expensive here as well. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back