News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Shadows at ANGC
« on: April 10, 2007, 07:54:28 AM »
These are always spoken of so reverentially.

Why?

John Kavanaugh

Re:Shadows at ANGC
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:25:57 AM »
I know it is cheesy but the rays of light coming through the trees on the final round really do look like what you see in a cathedral that same morning.  Some people believe that 12 may have even been intentionally positioned to take advantage of this fact.  Some people give architects more credit than what they deserve.  I was wondering the same thing about the St. Francis Catherderal on St. Louis University because just as 10:30 mass was nearing its end a ray of light shown directly on the alter...Did the architect get lucky or did I...I would say me since the angle of the sun changes so often with the seasons and it was the first time I had been at that church.  That being said...the shadows and rays of light during a bright sunny day in April around 4pm are pretty cool at Augusta.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 08:28:09 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
Are you including the shadow of Phil's golf bag?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

redanman

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:55:23 AM »
I think #12 is in the shadows all day long.

That's a no-no

LINK TO ANGC #12
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:56:33 AM by W.Vostinak »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »

That's a no-no

LINK TO ANGC #12

Why is it a no no...does the green ever die or has it been in poor condition for the Masters?  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:00:40 AM »

That's a no-no

LINK TO ANGC #12

Why is it a no no...does the green ever die or has it been in poor condition for the Masters?  

They've spent literally millions of dollars on that green, with underground piping, etc.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:33 AM »

That's a no-no

LINK TO ANGC #12

They've spent literally millions of dollars on that green, with underground piping, etc.

I think it is worth every penny not to have a wide open green with the wind acting in a linear motion.

redanman

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:39 AM »
It gives less well-budgeted clubs the wrong idea ....... without all those histrionics that green would be chocolate pudding, dead or both

green committees are generally not too smart and they like to emulate ANGC

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:07:48 AM »
I know that the golf course gets shut down sometime in May for the summer, but it it true that the entire course gets regrassed?  I find that a little hard to fathom, especially for the greens.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:43:18 AM »

I don't believe that with the current industry wide budget crunch that there is a green committee in the country that tries to emulate Augusta.  This a now just an urban legend.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »
I heard a talk where they discussed rebuilding a few greens a year.  As a technical note, they filled and compacted the green cavities at in 6" lifts (that means twice).

I'd imagine they minimize the limits of work - they do not regrass everything only where they work - recalling from some overhead pictures in the past.

I seem to recall that they sod the greens.
Is that correct?
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

redanman

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
JK did you get snopes to verify that?

ed_getka

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 12:31:44 PM »

I don't believe that with the current industry wide budget crunch that there is a green committee in the country that tries to emulate Augusta.  This a now just an urban legend.

John,
   That is about the silliest thing you have ever said. You think green speeds of today just naturally evolved withoutthe influence of Augusta?  The over the top conditioning that is seen at so many high end golf courses too? If not Augusta, then where do you think these trends came from? Sure, not everything is Augusta's fault, they didn't start the flattening of green contours to allow for superfast green speeds, and they obviously didn't start the tree thinning trend, but to say clubs don't try to emulate Augusta, that is a stretch.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back