News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

Who was the first to use a topo map?
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:37:50 AM »

??

Brian Phillips

Re: Who was the first to use a topo map?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 07:10:20 AM »
Anthony,

Some have said Colt but there is no proof of this.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:24:10 PM »
How do topo maps even come into being? Is a government entity responsable for making them?
I purchased one on ebay years ago (1920-ish), for the side of town where the course I was involved with at the time, and I couldn't fathom how it would have been done. It was commercially reproduced.
So, I suspect there would have been a limit to how far back they would have been made.
I do know that St. Andrews GC in NY had one that they sent to Braid to get him to design their next course. It was 1928 so you might already have some earlier examples.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 11:37:36 PM »
There is another thread running concurrently still on the first page on this very same subject that has a whole lot more information on it on this subject. It's entitled "The beginning of the use of PRE-construction topo maps."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back