News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Johnson

Re: Weiskopf comment
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
Actually, TW did a piece on architecture. It aired Thursday and Saturday. I was about 2 or 3 minutes. He started out with features of the Old Course and suggested that have been used by architects in other courses- Pinehurst 2 was mentioned.

Obviously I missed that segment.  Another thing I would liked to have seen on the telecast, which maybe they did show, but I missed, was an overview of the entire six-course St. Andrews links complex.  At times the plane that provided the great aerial shots would show the whole complex from up high and the announcers would say something about there being seven courses "down there."  A graphic showing all of the six courses and how each related to the location of TOC, and then the location of the separate seventh (Castle) course, would, I believe, have been interesting to many viewers.  I'm familiar with with it, but believe I am in the minority among golf fans.

Sean Leary

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
Sean,

About 2/3 of the page down

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008387/index.htm

Eric - you beat me to it!

Shows you how good my memory is....

Tom Yost

« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:31 PM »
Wasn't it a half dollar or a dollar coin that he got pissy over? I remember it being bigger than a quarter...

I loved the Dave Silk ball marker story someone told a while back on this forum.

Sean_A

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2010, 01:48:36 PM »
I guess Weiskopf wouldn't appreciate me slapping down a £5 coin - tee hee.  I used to use 2 pounders then our bets went up and £2 didn't work as emergency cash.  I then went to 5 pounders, but folks kept trying to nick it! They also complained that dinner could be served on it - which was one reason I used it - tee hee.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JESII

« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
For what it's worth...I agree that it's inconsiderate to use large ball markers anywhere near the hole...

The stories about professionals acting superior to amateurs crack me up...William Hyndman 3rd played in about a dozen Masters in the 50's and 60's as an amateur and in those days most every group had an amateur in it, along with two or three pros. Mr Hyndman used to tell us that when Hogan would show up to register, each year he would argue with the committee about having to play with an amateur and when the committee would insist he would say..."Alright, well pair me with Hyndman, at least he looks like he can play..." He would always crack up at that.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »
Ah, Jim, to have heard Hogan say something like, "Alright, well then pair me with Sullivan and Pallotta - at least they look like the can play a little". Wasn't it Bill Hyndman who was your golfing mentor and model (and who could still beat the young JES when he was in his late 70s...)"

Peter

JESII

« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2010, 03:39:59 PM »
That's the one...

"Could" is probably the wrong word because it happened every single time...

TEPaul

« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »
Sully:

There are and have been some professionals, not all  obviously, who seem to look down on even competitive amateurs but I don't think that would include all amateurs. Hyndman would probably be one they wouldn't look down on or Campbell or Harvie Ward etc and I doubt any professionals ever looked down on Sigel when he was an amateur which was up until he turned 50. It wouldn't take any professional more than about one hole playing with Jay to see he had just as much game as they did and he was so damn powerful and that always gets their attention.

At some tournament around here that Jay won (again ;)) that was right after the Masters they asked him to get up and speak about some of his experiences in the Masters. He had just come back from playing in it and he'd been paired in the first two rounds with Seve and Norman in their primes who were considered to be some of the longest out there and he said he was interested to see how he stacked up against them in distance. Jay wasn't the most effusive guy in the world for sure and that was about all he said at first on that subject. So some guy said: "Well, Jay, how did you stack up against them in distance in those first two rounds?" and he just said: "I was hitting my second shots last every time."

Plus Jay played in something like eleven straight Masters earning it every time and that tends to get their attention. And I guess the proof was in the pudding with Sigel because frankly there have been very few career amateurs who went out on the Senior Tour and actually did well but Jay certainly did.

I was one of the guys who was sort of shocked that Sigel would even consider turning senior pro since we felt he was the most significant career amateur in the second half of the 20th century and should remain that but then later after he explained his decision I realized he didn't get where he was by turning down a challenge.

The thing I really admired about Jay was that as dominant as he was on the national and world amateur scene he was so supportive of all the local and state section events and all the invitationals around here too. He played in most all of them year after year.

PS:
Here's a funny one. I was paired in the first round of your Lynnewood Hall with Jay one time and Jack Connelly treated the first tee announcement like it was some major deal. He would announce all our names and then go through our significant career accomplishments. I forget who the other guy or two guys were but he announced us first and our career accomplishments took Jack about 10 seconds each to announce and then he got to Sigel and it seemed to go on and on for so long the people around the first tee and the rest of us just started laughing after awhile.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:23:53 PM by TEPaul »

Dan Boerger

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »

Late to this thread, but my very first golf clubs were a set of First Flight Aluminum clubs, given to me by my brother who received them from Tom Weiskopf. (There's a reason aluminum was short lived as a shaft metal of choice!)

My brother, who passed away many years ago, served with Tom in the Army and obviously knew him in a different capacity than most -- but also said he was a really good guy.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back