News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Talk about discrimination
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2010, 09:02:34 PM »
Come on guys. Quit piling on the Golf Channel. NBC had the rights to the telecast. If you are seeing it nowhere else, it is because NBC is not allowing others to broadcast anything. At least that is my understanding of how these things work. Anyone know any differently?

I was out playing so didn't watch any of it. However, I see the scoreboard was lit up with read numbers today. Any explanation for that?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Moore II

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Come on guys. Quit piling on the Golf Channel. NBC had the rights to the telecast. If you are seeing it nowhere else, it is because NBC is not allowing others to broadcast anything. At least that is my understanding of how these things work. Anyone know any differently?

I was out playing so didn't watch any of it. However, I see the scoreboard was lit up with read numbers today. Any explanation for that?

Yeah, they shortened 6 of the holes to make the course play easier. Which I think is stupid. The course was also softer and slower from the rain.

My biggest beef more than anything else was with the Golf Channel.

I work weekends so most of my golf is only viewed after hours on replays. TGC decided this week that that stupid Wayne Gretzky Nationwide thing was more important than the Women's Open and the Deere, both events of which I found much more compelling.

TGC could not cover the other two events because they did not have weekend coverage rights. CBS had the PGA event and showed it starting at 3pm, which is about standard for a normal event. NBC had the Women's Open coverage and I can't believe that they waited until 3pm to start that coverage. At least give us the chance to see the leader tee off and play her whole round, surely you could have gotten more viewers for the Open than for whatever odd ball shows they had on before. But none of this fault lies with the Golf Channel.

Add my disgust to Ran's original post of there being no third round make-up coverage last night.

But 11 episodes in a row of Big Break Sandals, well, we can't possibly show anything more interesting than that, can we?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:47:38 PM by John K. Moore »

Matthew Rose

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2010, 10:54:46 PM »
I understand in many cases the TGC doesn't have the rights to these events, so I can't blame them entirely.

But maybe the real issue is that they should.

I guess I'd like to see more actual golf on the golf channel and less junk. One would hope that would be the main goal of a "golf channel". But the world isn't perfect.

I have the same feelings about the NHL network. There were several playoff games in the first and second rounds this year that weren't televised except in local markets and the NHL network was showing minor league games and that dull Sidney Crosby biography 500 times. When there is meaningful, live hockey going on you would hope that a TV network calling itself "The NHL Network" would pick up the slack on some of that.

I guess I'd just like to see the major sports leagues use their networks for backup/overflow/replay coverage more than they do.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »
The Women's Open had the perfect winner, a great storyline and a fabulous golf course and they still get no traction.  I don't think you can blame the media, because they cover what people want to watch and want to talk about.  There aren't enough people in America who care about the LPGA week in and week out and they apparently aren't capable of being roused by Creamer beating the field at Oakmont.  More's the pity, but that's the reality.  I watched for about two hours yesterday and I just loved looking at Oakmont...and Creamer...and Petterson...etc.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

RJ_Daley

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »

I think you are correct Garland.  I too was out playing (as I think most 'real golf fans' were doing on a Sunday when the toonamint was being broadcast live.  I caught some of the end of it in the clubhouse after my round.  And, I was too forgetful to set the DVR  :-\ :-[

So, it seems to me that if I was like most 'real golf fans' they would have been playing rather than viewing live as well.  This is where NBC and TGC seem stupid to me.  If NBC has the rights, wouldn't TGC be wise to pay something for the rebroadcast rights because it would be a sure thing that "real golf fans" would watch that rebroadcast, and they are the people that would BUY real golf stuff advertised on commercial breaks during the rebroadcast? And wouldn't NBC be smarter to sell the rebroadcast for something rather than get nothing and leave the footage in a video digital format somewhere to rot on a shelf or in cyberspace?

It boggles my mind to hear all the stupid gaffs that TV executives make, while  earning princely sums of compensation.  Whether it is Zucker and the NBC Leno-O'Brien disaster, or this mismanaged rebroadcast or live telecast debacles of sports-golf, going back to Heidi-football, they seem to me to be a bunch of totally stupid stuffed suits.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
The Women's Open had the perfect winner, a great storyline and a fabulous golf course and they still get no traction.  I don't think you can blame the media, because they cover what people want to watch and want to talk about.

I guess the question is whether the media reflects the public or whether it defines it. I think it used to be the former, but is increasingly the latter.

It is pretty weird to me when one looks around at the competition that women's golf doesn't do better in the ratings. It's more compelling to me than a lot of other things out there, but I guess as a golfer, my view is strongly biased.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
will Creamer be on Jay Leno or Letterman?  even Lucas Glover was last year
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »
Didn't the LPGA cut back its schedule a whole lot this year?  The handwriting is on the wall for women's golf, and it ain't pretty. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 03:34:24 PM »
Sure did.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back