News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ran Morrissett

Diagonal bunkers extending from greenside
« on: February 20, 2002, 12:48:07 PM »
These two par fives have a similar feature: a string of bunkers that start on the right hand side of the green, cross in front of the green on a diagonal, and end up in the rough on the left side of the fairway approximately 80 and 100 yards from the center of their respective greens. The golfer has to make all kinds of decisions when playing these holes.

In fact, the bunker string is so cool on the 17th that this 560 yarder requires no other bunkers.

Such a bunker configuration seems supremely appealing and here it is found on two holes on one course. What are some other examples of such a diagonal bunker configuration? The famous 6th at Seminole is close but I don't think its bunkers actually extend into the left rough?

Mark Huxford, Don't you think it's a shame that Russell didn't feel similarly inclined with either the 7th, 12th or 18th holes at Paraparaumu Beach?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

TJSturges

Re: Holes 10/17 on Royal Melbourne East
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2002, 06:30:10 PM »
I had to dust this post off of page 12 for two reasons:

1.  How embarrassing for Ran to have made such a thoughtful post and get zero responses from this chic crowd (and I felt it was "my duty" to point this out).

2.  It is indeed a very interesting use of a bunker which I have seen a couple of other places I wanted to point out.

The 18th at Yeamans Hall Club uses diagonal bunkering which starts very near the green complex on the left side of the green and runs (like a serpent) across the fairway which ends in the right center side of the fairway at about 60 yards from the green.  Raynor also used this feature on the Channel hole at Camargo (the 12th).  It starts several yards away from the green complex on the left side and runs a similar path as the bunker complex on the 18th at Yeamans.  I found it curious however, as it didn't seem to work as a strategic bunker on the 12th at Camargo as it is a par 4 where one is hitting a mid to short iron over this bunker to the green (while at Yeamans, the player must either hit over this bunker on their 2nd shot to the par 5, or lay up short and left).  Then my friend George Bahto shows me where the 12th was originally slated to be a par 5 hole by Raynor, and the club did not build the hole according to his plan.  This cleared up my questions about that particular bunker.

Anyway, it is a great strategic use (diagonal presentation) of bunkers.  Can others think of more examples of this type of strategic bunkering?  Why is there not more of this simple but effective design feature?

TS
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Ran Morrissett

Re: Holes 10/17 on Royal Melbourne East
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2002, 01:13:13 PM »
Ted,

I thought Broadmoor might even have something similar to what we're talking about but I guess not?

Another example by Ross can be found at the 13th at Holston Hills (in fact, there's a good photo of it on the first page of its course profile).

Mark,

You're right it was the 9th on the new composite and as I recall, the area where the bunkers are is essentially flat but Russell created some very interesting decisions from nothing by creating this bunker pattern. I'm with you - I wish he would have done the same at 7 at PB as it would lend the 2nd shot some needed interest.

I wonder why more modern architects don't introduce this bunker pattern into their designs? Especially on a par five, it challenges the strong golfer on his 2nd shot while the weaker golfer will be laying up short of it anyway and then hitting a short iron over.

As Russell showed at 17 RM East, you don't need any features to build them and have them look natural, and yet, it is a fair and fun hazard for all golfers to maneuver around.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back