News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Their lender has taken over operations. The club is still open. A GAP Member Day is scheduled there soon.

I wonder if this was a deed in lieu of foreclosure situation:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100429/NEWS01/4290343/Woodcrest-Country-Club-changes-hands

http://cherryhill.injersey.com/2010/04/29/woodcrest-country-club-changes-hands/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:55:37 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

TEPaul

Re: OT- Woodcrest CC(Flynn) Cherry Hill, NJ
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 10:01:41 AM »
I'm very sorry to hear this but the fact is Woodcrest has been struggling financially in one form or another for a number of years. GAP's legal counsel, Woodcrest member, past president and very prominent member, Fred Ruttenberg, occasionally contributes on here. Hopefully he will see this and comment.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 10:07:18 AM »
I think the comments to the article were rather telling. This seems to be another example of clubhouse overspending coupled with a declining economy causing member resignations...
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
Steve,

I always liked Woodcrest, I thought it was a very interesting golf course, even with the abandoned holes across the road.

As a guest over the last 20+ years, one of my observations was that the club spent substantial sums on Non-Golf Capital projects over the years.

It's always been my theory that prospective members don't join and existing members don't stay ... because of the chicken salad.

Club after club makes the mistake of getting top heavy.
Making/expanding the physical facility and increasing services which in turn drives up maintainance costs to the point that they become burdensome.

Too many clubs want to be all things to all members, at the expense of the most important asset, the golf course.

I would imagine that clubs that focused on golf rather than the collateral activities, especially food service, are in prefered positions when the economy sours and memberships become scarce.

I thought that Woodcrest had some spectacular holes and that with a little more work/effort/$ the course could have been unique, making the a more attractive choice.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of financials between clubs that offer limited food service and clubs that try to be all things to all members.

Rick Sides

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:52:29 PM »
This course is a really nice Flynn course on a beautiful plot of rolling land.  It is sad to here that the club is in financial trouble.  I can't help but wonder if it might ever go public like Ballamor, another former private S. Jersey club.

Mike Cirba

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »
I believe Woodcrest actually started as a public course, if memory serves, so perhaps that would be fitting.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:40:39 PM »
Some wonderful par 3's over there....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
I played Woodcrest for the first time yesterday in a GAP Member Play Day. It's definitely a Flynn with a lot of doglegs and interesting bunkers and greens. The course was in very good condition for a club that is experiencing financial difficulties.

I took some pictures will post them here when I have some time.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Woodcrest CC(Flynn) Cherry Hill, NJ...now with pictures
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Here are some pictures:

Hole3- 173y par3

Hole4-512y par5 approach to green

Hole11- 505y par5 appraoch to green over wetlands

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Woodcrest CC(Flynn) Cherry Hill, NJ...now with pictures
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »
More pictures:

Hole 12- 450y par4- greenside bunker

Hole12- approach

Hole18- 560y par5- appraoch from about 125y

Rating/Slope from the tips-6528y 72.9/140....from the members tees@6224y 71.4/137

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back