News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Sander

Hello all,

There have been several televised events at Sunriver's Crosswater Course and I can't quite get a feel for the course via TV (at least to the extent that you can with some other courses). The setting seems beautiful and tranquil but very flat and without much definition. For those of you who have played there, what are some of the playing characteristics of the course? It is repeatedly described as quite difficult whether it be from the Champions Tour guys or a few years ago from the PGA Club pros. Is the main cause of difficulty the constant use of the natural hazards, or is there more to it than that? What are some of the other unique features of the course, if any?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:29:51 PM by Matthew Sander »

Pete_Pittock

Re: Sunriver's Crosswater; some thoughts from those who have played
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »
Majority of greens are large and nuanced, stimp around 12 for the Jeldwen, susprised if they go below 10.5.  A number of them center ridged so the back half is fall away. Usually get a pronounced wind off the mountains in the afternoon. Nicklaus influence through Bob Cupp. Constant pressure. Litltle recoverability. Despite the meadow setting not especially wide. I usually suffer from wandering mind syndrome because of the setting. Can't go low on the fives or the threes very often and overall not a lot of birdie holes. Course record is 65 so its hard to go low. 

Matt_Ward

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 10:15:01 AM »
Matt S:

I like Sunriver's Crosswater but it's more about the off-course scenery as Pete mentioned than anything else.

The terrain is fairly ho-hum and while it's tough in spots -- as Pete correctly mentioned -- the architectural bar for courses in and around the greater Bend area has risen a good bit since it first opened.

I'd rather play Tetherow -- but that's a personal preference.

You also have courses just waiting to move ahead with the likes of Wicked Pony.

Having such events as the Shell's matches between Couples and Daly helped with exposure -- just as the senior event this weekend is doing. When you get great weather and fantastic views the architecture (or lack thereof) can often times go unnoticed as other items are better appreciated and savored.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:33:36 PM »
Very beautiful setting with gorgeous views. Nice place to kayak.

Very cool natural water features. Not so cool man made ponds; needed to generate all the fill for the mounds that line and frame every hole.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »
Most of the difficulties come from the water hazards (which you get to CROSS, a lot), there is not much movement in the fairways. The greens also have runoff areas which will collect errant shots and leave a trickier chip.

Very pleasant layout overall and balls fly since you are pretty high up. Definitely the best Cupp/Fought course I have ever played - by far.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back