News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Wimbledon Park Golf Club
« on: July 01, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
When the BBC shows an aerial of the Tennis (yawn...), I keep seeing the golf course adjacent to the All-England Club. According to their website, Horace Hutchinson had a connection (drove a first ball off, apparently).
Do we know anything of interest re WPGC?
cheers,
FBD.

PS I am beginning to come to the conclusion that televised Tennis is even MORE boring than televised Golf....
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

mike_beene

Re: Wimbledon Park Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
I used to go to Wimbeldon from time to time and I assume you are refering to the course that is on your left when you walk from the Southfields tube station to the tennis complex. Looks from the street like a parkland course with fairly small greens,but that is just my impression from walking the mile or so down the stone wall. It probably doesn't get much play during the fortnight and I have only seen a couple of groups on it when walking by.Members may be renting their houses out and taking a nice trip during tournament.I always wondered about this course so hopefully someone knows.

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:44:43 PM »
It gets no play during Wimbledon Fortnight because it is used for ticket queuing, catering and parking.

It's a bit of a marker for me with my time in London, because when I moved here I phoned up looking for a hit (I live 10mins away) and they told me the visitor fee was £45. I was speechless, thanked them, hung up and couldn't believe golf in England was so EXPENSIVE!!! ;D Hindsight is a great thing.

I've still not played it, but I have walked around bits of it while doing other stuff and it looks reasonable for a suburban course. The condition is impeccable in summer.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:54:33 PM by Scott Warren »

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:49 PM »
par 66.Looks like an enjoyable course.Interesting dress code.Can't tuck pants in socks.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:12:48 PM »
Pretty sure it's where I had one hell of a fantastic day and evening.  It was exactly 7 days after my first round of golf since childhood.

As it was my brothers wedding reception I suppose it could have been another club house in Wimbledon.  The first and 18th looked neat with a big pond... and that's all I can remember folks.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:14:47 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 06:16:20 PM »
Tony, this'd be the one, then: neither Wimbledon Common or Royal Wimbledon has water in 1/18 and Wimbledon Park has a gigantic lake in the middle of it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back