News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Re: The perfect golf town?
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 03:52:54 PM »
I don't see how one can meld NYC to the Hamptons...the latter is a good hike out the Long Island expressway (or express) from the former.

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder, as no one in particular says.  If your idea of perfect is great golf, great food, and a night spent inside playing cards or watching the screen, then the town is Pine Valley, NJ and nightlife is not part of the equation.  If nightlife matters, which kind?

Every one of the candidates submitted is worthy of the title of perfect golf town.  I will be interested to see, with Golden Horseshoe, two Strantz designs and a few other courses, how close Williamsburg, VA comes to the top 25 in my mind this Summer.  I certainly agree that the following deserve to be in the top quarter-century:

Carmel
Pinehurst
Cabo
St. Andrews
Southampton
Philly
Melbourne
Bandon
Kohler
Orlando

Does perfect golf town include public AND private, or public only?  That makes a difference.

Middle of discussion!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 04:08:50 PM »
If I were condemned to play one course for the rest of my life it would probably be Royal County Down. But would I want to be condemned to the Co Down climate for 12 months of the year? My mother's family came from County Down, but I couldn't live there all year round.

It was a really hot day in County Down today and I up in Tollymore (were I have an immense golf course routed in my head, but that’s another story.)
I was coming back down the Mountain on my bicycle and I was looking over the town and the boats out in the glistening bay with the Mournes watching over it all and was thinking how it is really a special place. Thought I might have a different opinion if you mask me on a dark December day ;D. As a matter of interest what do people who have visited Newcastle think of it?

Chris Buie

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 07:29:22 PM »
That is a well thought out and articulated perspective Carl.  It is very interesting that people can have quite divirgent takes on the same topic or experience.  I won't bother to go into the details of where our perceptions differ.  But I do wonder if others share a similar view of the area?

Roger, I would say that their is some truth to what you say.  The division is not that stark though.  I wouldn't say the locals hate the Resort but there is serious disdain for the behavior of some of the tourists in Spring.  I actually sensed more of a division with the town/gown thing in university towns than I do here.
As ever, that is just my view.

Steve Kline

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 07:38:51 PM »
Michael, can you give us a compelling sketch of Aiken?  Aiken GC and Palmetto are very nice but is there something else I'm not aware of?  I know a lot of people who go there for equestrian reasons but have not heard it put out there as a serious golf destination.

Carl, the Sandhills a bit faux?  I can see how one could perceive it that way.  It is more egalitarian than most of the great U.S. golf destinations.  It's not an exquisitely private place like some of the fabulous courses.  So there is that tourist sheen to the area.  Beyond that I think the area speaks for itself.  If anybody thinks it is not a cornucopia of truly great golf I would find that entertaining and amusing.
The courses I think make the area worthy of a visit are (in order) Dormie, #2, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Southern Pines C.C.  If a golfer does not find that a satisfying menu then good luck to you.

Bill, I'd have to agree with you.  Eastern Long Island is right up there by any standard.  I could say the same thing about the Carmel area.   

You left out Tobacco Road. That course stands out against a lot of clutter in the area that you can get all over the south.

Chris Buie

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:17 PM »
That was deliberate Steve.  TR is just not my kind of course.  I do respect Stranz though.  I respect people in any field that come up with fresh ideas rather than just being derivitive - a variation of something that has already been done a thousand times before.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
With Kingsley and Crystal Downs in the area and an unlimited bank account I think a summer in Traverse City would suit me just fine. Might even catch a fish or two.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »
If money and access wasn't a problem my choice would be St. Andrews - links golf from dawn till dusk and plenty of courses to choose from. It doesn't get any better for mine.

Steve Lang

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 11:14:16 PM »
 8) houston, tx labor day to memorial day, kalkaska county, mi memorial day to labor day

ans since money is no object.. one can get almost anywhere in usa in 4 hours or less flying
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

JC Jones

« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2010, 10:23:22 AM »
With Kingsley and Crystal Downs in the area and an unlimited bank account I think a summer in Traverse City would suit me just fine. Might even catch a fish or two.

Finally, someone with some sense.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back