News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Donnie Luper

Golf around Boston
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
I am going to be in Boston September 1 and am playing Boston Golf Club in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions on an afternoon round.  I am playing on this trip Myopia, Essex, Eastward Ho, Sankaty, Old Sandwich, Nantucket, and the International. A great trip but any other suggestions from those in that area would be appreciated. Public or Private.

Anyone played Redtail or Waverly Oaks or Cape Cod National?

Thanks.

Michael Moore

Re: Golf around Boston
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
As long as you are in Hingham, after lunch give South Shore Municipal a try. Given your itinerary, it may help to note that until the mid-1980s this was the exclusive and very  private South Shore Country Club.

This Wayne Stiles gem has become a default wintertime destination for a number of board members. A sporty track that traverses a great deal of up and down.

Red Tail and Waverly are both rock solid. I prefer Waverly.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »
One of my members visited Boston last week and, after we tried Essex (busy with a tournament)
I was able to get him on BraeBurn in Newton (classic Ross).  I have never played but he absolutely
loved it.

Scott Coan

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:43:36 PM »
I am going to be in Boston September 1 and am playing Boston Golf Club in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions on an afternoon round.  I am playing on this trip Myopia, Essex, Eastward Ho, Sankaty, Old Sandwich, Nantucket, and the International. A great trip but any other suggestions from those in that area would be appreciated. Public or Private.

Thanks.

Quite a lineup - you will enjoy!  Can't argue with BraeBurn as is classic Ross, Charles River also in Newton.

Virtually bordering Boston Golf is Black Rock which will make your travel pretty darn easy.  Ran has reviewed it here http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/black-rock

Dedham Polo & Country (Raynor) is a blast as well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:47:38 PM by Scott Coan »

Jay Cox

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 12:11:53 AM »
Red Tail is a very good golf course, among the best publics in the state for me.  It has an unusual number of subtly strategic holes for a public course, especially on the excellent front nine.  There are a couple of blah holes on the back side, but I would still take it over any of the publics in the Plymouth area.  It's also a very good example of Brian Silva's architectural style -- and therefore a good example of the New England public golf experience.

Waverly is a big course and has some memorable holes -- most notably the 17th, which is kind of like the 16th at Cypress point minus the views and with a scrub-filled crater instead of the ocean (I know, I know, fairly imporant differences).  But overall I didn't find it as interesting as Red Tail, or the Nicklaus course at Pinehills for that matter.   

I would give Red Tail a 6 on the Doak scale, Waverly and Pinehills Nicklaus a 5, and Pinehills Jones a 4.  Red Tail is quite a ways away from Boston GC, though, so I'm not sure that I would recommend it for an afternoon round on the same day.

There are quite a few private courses I would recommend over any of the publics:  The Country Club is at the top of the list if you can swing it, but that might be hard to do, followed by a tier of Salem, Myopia, Essex, Charles River, and Kittanset, all of which would be in the Doak 7-8 range for me.  Salem and Kittanset also would be a decent trek, in opposite directions -- Kittanset is on the Cape, but probably not a much longer drive from BGC than Salem or Red Tail would be.  Closer to Boston, besides Charles River, I'd second the recommendation of Brae Burn and add Winchester (an early, slightly quirky Ross that is a personal favorite) and Dedham Country & Polo Club (originally a Ross, with renovations and expansion by Raynor I believe).

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 09:56:12 AM »
I am going to be in Boston September 1 and am playing Boston Golf Club in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions on an afternoon round.  I am playing on this trip Myopia, Essex, Eastward Ho, Sankaty, Old Sandwich, Nantucket, and the International. A great trip but any other suggestions from those in that area would be appreciated. Public or Private.

Thanks.

That is a fantastic itinerary you have there Donnie! Myopia and Essex are fantastic, and Sankaty is a personal favorite. Plus it's a great time of the year to visit.

From your list it sounds like you either have alot of friends in Boston or access isn't an issue. The only private that seems to be missing is The Country Club, which I would say is my favorite of all the courses I've played out there, and Salem, which is also very good.

As far as publics go Redtail is good, and is probably a little better than Cape Cod National. Pinehills is just so-so and after all the great courses you're set up to play will seem like a total downer.
H.P.S.

Chris Hans

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 11:31:37 PM »
You need to check out Vesper Country Club, just northwest of Boston.  Restored last year by Brian Silva and it has some awesome and very unique bunkering, if you can manage to get out on it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back