News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Kline

Update on #2 Rework
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
Just received this from my dad who is a member.

There are several new tees under construction on #2.  You are aware of the new tee on the 7th hole to the right of and behind the sixth green.  Also under construction:

Old Gold      New Gold

Hole #10      611         670
Hole #17      197         217
Hole #18      445         465

Also to the right of the 3rd fairway they are planting wire (love) grass clumps about five, or less, feet apart.  Hit it there and odds are you will have no shot to the green.

I didn't know there was enough room behind #10 to go that far back.

Link Walsh

Re: Update on #2 Rework
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
I just looked at the course on Google Maps and, unless this image has been updated recently, I don't know where they'll get the room for some of these new tees.

There's a road right behind the 6th green that you have to cross to get to the 7th tee.  So it will be interesting to see how that works.

Also, another road goes right behind the current 10th tee.  Anybody know how they're getting that extra 50 yards? 

Lastly, it looks like if they move the 18th tee back any further, it will jut out into the 16th fairway.  I'm glad it's being lengthened because that was the hole that, to me, played so much easier in 2005 than it did in 1999.  Yes, the weather was worse in 99, but they were hitting wedges in in 2005 on a hole that some couldn't reach six years earlier.

Steve, if you find out any more information, please let us know.  Thanks for the update.     

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
There is a road between the 6th green and 7th tee. If you you are standing on the current 7th tee looking down the fairway, then the new back tee will behind the road and more to the right. They are doing this not to make the hole longer but to prevent players from cutting the corner over the trees. The hole will only be slightly longer but the angle will be such that you can't cut the corner over the pines.

There is a road behind 10. Behind the current 10th tee there is a pretty decent slope down the road. They must be bringing in a fair amount of fill because my dad said that the tee is going to be almost right up against the road.

There is a sand cart path behind the 17th tee. The new tee will have to be behind that path to add 20 yards to the whole.

I haven't been on the current back tee on 18 for a while, but if memory serves correct they could easily add 20 yards without it being a problem.

For each of these new tees they will need to remove some trees I think.

Chris Buie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:38:18 PM »
They added a new tee to the 3rd as well.  Just to the left of the 2nd green and across the street from the rest of the 3rd hole. 
There used to be a tee behind the sand path on the 8th hole as well.  They didn't use it for the U.S. Open because it is a par-4 rather than a par-5 in that tournament.

Steve Kline

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
The new tee on the third was there for the last US Am, which is why I didn't mention it.

rjsimper

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »
Just played Sunday...

Changes are definitely in full swing. I didn't notice the new tee areas in any kind of obvious way.

The new bunker on 10 seems to be an odd placement. It doesn't punish the pro because it's not in play for a tee or 2nd shot...and the rank and file amateurs and hackers are already concerned enough about the bunkers guarding the corner at 125, so why a bunker at 190?

That, and it's the only frilly bunker on the course.

CJ Carder

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 11:59:23 PM »
Are these more changes designed to "restore shot values?"  Honestly, I'm really not understanding the need for any of the new tees, save for maybe the new one on 7 (though I still can't understand how it's going to be "behind" the 6th green).  The 99 Open was won at -1 and the 05 tournament was won at E. 

I hope that this is being done more to give Mike Davis (or whoever is in charge in 2014) the ability to mix it up a bit because I can't for the life of me understand why we need a 670 yard par 5, particularly with that green complex on 10.

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
I don't understand how they're adding so much yardage to 10. It seems like there's only 30 yards max, not 60. Would they go across that road?

JLahrman

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:39:50 AM »
#10 is going to 670 yards, that's unbelievable.  It seemed to be about 2 miles long from the current tee.

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 06:14:13 AM »
The new number 10 tee will be right up against the road, according to my dad. He was out there yesterday.

I believe the bunkers are going to have a ragged appearance in general. I think they did in the '40s, but I could be wrong.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back