News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:47:43 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

J_ Crisham

Re: Article on Huntingdon Valley's Scott Anderson "Brown is good"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 08:34:31 PM »
Steve, A group of us from Chicago played HVCC this past July and found the course to be in excellent shape. It was actually fairly lush-not sure if this was a result a wet Summer in Philly as we were only in for 4 days but it would appear that the super takes very good care of this gem.                Jack

Norbert P

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 01:08:32 PM »
Steve, thanks for posting the article. It was a nice teaser in directing me to Scott's old interview with Ran. I never knew that paramagnetic volcanic rock dust minerals could be so fascinating.  I recommend that anybody else who may've missed this Ran interview should set aside their Attention Deficit Syndrome affliction disease pathogen and (re-)visit some retro-revolutionary ideas about turf, soils, and appreciatively enlightened golfers.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Matt OBrien

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:25:21 PM »
Steve, A group of us from Chicago played HVCC this past July and found the course to be in excellent shape. It was actually fairly lush-not sure if this was a result a wet Summer in Philly as we were only in for 4 days but it would appear that the super takes very good care of this gem.                Jack

Jack I think we had rain almost every day in June. I am sure that is why it was not the normal F&F HVCC

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Boonn

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
At yesterday's GAP Member Play Day, HVCC wasn't exactly brown, but it was definitely playing fast and firm. 

As an aside, this is a great new series of events organized by the Golf Association of Philadelphia to allow GAP members to experience courses which they may not otherwise have the opportunity or access to play:
http://www.gapgolf.org/eventplay.asp

Steve -- I've read a ton of your posts.  Nice to finally meet you in person.

Bill

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:58:06 PM »
At yesterday's GAP Member Play Day, HVCC wasn't exactly brown, but it was definitely playing fast and firm. 

As an aside, this is a great new series of events organized by the Golf Association of Philadelphia to allow GAP members to experience courses which they may not otherwise have the opportunity or access to play:

Bill

We were actually just starting to go nicely off color (especially on 16 fairway) and then the rain hit!

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Bill,

It was a pleasure meeting you.

Fast and firm to the extreme on a December day in May. I signed up for the GAP Member Day at HV expecting a beautiful spring day. Instead, it was raw,cold and gray. Otherwise, it was a  day for me to forget except for my birdie on 4 to finish the day.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Roselle

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »

Bill

Hey Bill, it's Chris Roselle, the Tournament Director for the Golf Association of Philadelphia.  Just wanted to say thanks for participating in the HVCC Member Play Day.  Glad you enjoyed the day and HVCC is always a treat to play.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:13:28 AM »
As an aside, I have been sending "brown is good" articles to the super and Grounds Committee at my club for the past year. They think I am crazy! But I sent these links anyway :)  Changing members' perceptions on this is definitely a long-term task and not for the meek...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back